Reading books

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mummymoo

Reading books

Post by mummymoo »

Hello.

Can anyone recommend a series of books for my 10 year old son to read? My son is a good reader but is not really into any particular books at the moment.

Thanks!
Daogroupie

Re: Reading books

Post by Daogroupie »

The Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence. This is a great set of books that teaches readers a lot about Roman life and has a very interesting plot that gradually unfolds. There is also a dvd to watch when you have read them all. DG
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

My 10-year-old DS isn't keen on historical books but loves fantasy/sci-fi. I would recommend any books by Philip Reeve. Start with the Goblins trilogy (very funny but also extremely well written and vocabulary-rich) then move on to Mothstorm, Larklight etc. At the moment he's reading Railhead, which is probably aimed more at teens but is another great imagining of futuristic worlds. DS also likes Alex Shearer (The Cloud Hunters and Sky Run - not in a series as such but depicting the same world 'in the clouds' and introducing interesting questions re. society and the environment) and Frances Hardinge (A Face like Glass - fantastically written and set underground, another point of fascination for my DS). He's also recently enjoyed Wildwood, which I believe is the first in a series. In general I've been delighted to discover there are plenty of books for boys of this age who aren't so interested in typical adventure or nature-related stories. If he's tech/scientifically minded he might also like the George and the Big Bang books which are written by Stephen Hawking and his daughter and an interesting mix of story and science.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My ds just turned 11. Currently he is enjoying the Vespers vs Cahills series, having recently read the 39 Clues series (Vespers vs Cahills follows on from that).
He loves the HIVE series by Mark Walden and has just moved on to the Earthfall trilogy (don't think the 3rd one is out yet) by the same author.
He also absolutely loves Biggles and has read a lot of them recently. He read the Roman Mysteries last year and thoroughly enjoyed them.
He has also recently read Bear Grylls' series which is aimed at 9+ but has enough content for older children and is very readable.
He does not like fantasy at all but likes adventure books.
gingerly67 wrote: Frances Hardinge (A Face like Glass - fantastically written and set underground, another point of fascination for my DS). He's also recently enjoyed Wildwood, which I believe is the first in a series
Absolutely agree that these are great books. My dd loves them. They would not suit my ds as much because of the fantasy element... Gingerly67 has your son read the Mysterious Benedict Society series. They are illustrated by the same person who illustrated the Wildwood series (who I think is the wife of the man who wrote the MBS series). Even better in my opinion!
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

loobylou wrote:Gingerly67 has your son read the Mysterious Benedict Society series. They are illustrated by the same person who illustrated the Wildwood series (who I think is the wife of the man who wrote the MBS series). Even better in my opinion!
Thanks for the tip - will look for those! Slightly unrelated, but I discovered an intriguing picture book called 'Home' about different types of houses/ways of life, same illustrator as Wildwood, which made a good Christmas present for a 6-year-old.
gingerly67

Post by gingerly67 »

Great news for Frances Hardinge fans (and older children's fiction in general)!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35412946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

There was a really useful post by um on another thread re. reading lists.(http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 78#p552778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

"There are some great reading lists/suggestions here:

http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/genre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... aders.html

http://www.dulwichpreplondon.org/page/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... 14&pid=211"
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
eleven plus exams

Post by eleven plus exams »

We have a recommended reading list on this page of the site

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... ading-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drummer

Post by drummer »

Some years ago my reluctant reader son got hooked into reading by by Ian Ogilvy's Measle books and now they are working the same magic on his even more reluctant little sister who is now reading every chance she gets
K76

Post by K76 »

How about Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events? I liked those books because some new words are introduced with meanings as part of the story. My 12 year old is just re-reading them now.