Year 2 SATs

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Proud Mum

Year 2 SATs

Post by Proud Mum »

With all this talk of year 2 SATs scores being a guide to if a child may be 11+ material, I though I should say that this is not always a good indication of future performance..........

My son only scored 2's in most of them, with a 3 in Maths and only a 2c in English in the year 2 SATs.

In the 11+ he obtained a score of 419 out of 420 in the Kent tests.

He is born in August so was very young when taking the SATs and he has come on leaps and bounds since. Every child develops differently and at different times so please don't be too disheartened if your child has not always been a top performer as they may inprove with age!
Jed

Post by Jed »

I agree totally. Our daughter got all level 3 in her year 2 sats but didn't pass the 11 plus. So there's a cautionary tale the other way around!

Post by Guest »

Yes , have to agree. The other half said he was pretty middle of the road average throughout junior school, but suddenly in yr6, it all came together, and he came 2nd to top for year, got into his choice of grammar
and stayed in top five there too.
Of course this was quite a few years ago. But it does go to prove that each child is indiviual and progresses at different times, the time right for them.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I agree that Yr 2 SATs can be very misleading. My son had level 3 across the board, but also failed the 11+.

It does depend upon the LEA and the tests that they set. In Bucks it is VR, and my son just doesn't work well with VR. In other authoritities they test for a broader range of skills, so the tests may reflect SATs a little better.

I am personally not sure that SATs results are a good predictor of VR/NVR results, and that is one of the difficulties of the selection process in so many areas.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Proud Mum, congratulations. You should be very proud of your sons achievements. Its an Excellent result.

Sally Anne totally agree with you.
I think the issue as to whether KS2 can or cannot be a predictor, becomes somewhat clouded, when you read Etiennes post concerning Bucks appeals, where they sit VR.
As she says 'There is no direct correlation between SATs and the 11+. Three 5s would probably be regarded as encouraging but inconclusive. They are predictions, so again there could be an element of overestimating. They measure other qualities.'
But she goes on to say they do look for evidence of 'high academic ability' in the HT's report, and 'encouraging SATS predictions' amongst a whole host of other factors to support suitability for grammar.

As parents what can we go on to assess our childrens suitability for grammar if not the results we know of?

As Sally-Anne says VR/NVR are a different style of test to sats, but Maths and English, appear to be fairly similar, so in the areas that sit these too, should KS2 predictors not be encouraging for us? of course allowing as the above cautionary tales suggest, not to rest your laurels on these alone.

Post by Guest »

Another cautionary tale. My eldest 2 sons both went through the Grammar system and have now both graduated. They did OK. My 3rd son got all level 3 at KS2 all Level 5 at KS 2, 778 at KS 3 and then 10 Astars for Gcse and AAAB for A level... and he failed the 11 plus. We appealed supported by his primary school and were told he was in no way capable of a Grammar school education!!!! He is now on course for a 1st in Bio Medical Science. It's not the end of the world if they do not pass the 11 plus, many like my son probably have an off day.
jah

Post by jah »

I think it is sad to talk about failing the 11+. Here in Brum, there is only a partial grammar school system so there are many more applicants than places. Including a lot from neighbouring authorities.

I have told my daughter that if she doesn't get a grammar school place, it will not be because she has failed; just that on the day more people got higher marks than her than there were places available at the school.

In the meantime, we just keep our fingers crossed.

Post by Guest »

Yes I agree entirely with your comments Jah. In Liverpool we only have one grammar school. My daughter is constantly get 80 plus on all Maths, NVR and English Test papers but if the topcandidates get 90 plus on the day you can hardly say she 'failed'.

Good Luck everyone. 'Our' test is next week - glad when it is over!!!!

Steve
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now