Gov Plans for National 13+ Super Selective Grammars?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

Gov Plans for National 13+ Super Selective Grammars?

Post by KenR »

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/edu ... r-schools/

Anyone read the headline article in the "i" newspaper about the Tory party's plans for super selective grammars from age 13+ covering the top 2% of pupils nationally? Quite interesting
Guest55

Re: Gov Plans for National 13+ Super Selective Grammars?

Post by Guest55 »

What a crazy idea and a waste of money.

Very impractical and not something I would support at all.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KenR wrote:Tory party's plans for super selective grammars from age 13+ covering the top 2% of pupils nationally
And pray tell us, where are these super-super selected students going to come from?

Even, QE, only select the top 5% of the national cohort, the vast majority of whom are tutored up to their collective eyeballs.

How far and wide are the students going to come from?

PP students can't get in now with even lowering the entry requirements.

Is HMG, intent on decimating the top-top students of fully comprehensive schools and even non-super selective GS ?

Put simply is Mrs May, mad?
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

If as much care was taken selecting children for a super selective as for a special school it could work well. I would require an assessment with an educational psychologist and evidence that a mainstream school struggles to cater for such a gifted child. Evidence from class work, past test results should be looked at. Maybe there should be a two week trial like special schools have for children with learning difficulties to see if such an environment is right for the child.

I think you would need to select children for whom the national curriculum is not a sufficient challenge. Ie. The type of child who is capable of getting A* for gcse maths in primary. Ofcourse an issue is that such child may not be strong across the curriculum. I know a child who is gifted in maths, but struggles with literacy.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Midnight wrote:The type of child who is capable of getting A* for gcse maths in primary.
Do you many year 6 children capable of getting an A* at gcse maths at primary ?

I got an A and distinction at S level maths at A level and went to Oxford to read medicine, I doubt I would of got a C at gcse at the age of 10 years old.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

KenR wrote:https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/edu ... r-schools/

Anyone read the headline article in the "i" newspaper about the Tory party's plans for super selective grammars from age 13+ covering the top 2% of pupils nationally? Quite interesting
Interesting proposal but I can't see it getting the cross party support and the support of all conservative MPs to become reality.

I was reading an article last week in a local newspaper where I saw some children had taken Mensa tests at their local comprehensive school namely Barr Beacon in Walsall and about 5 had scored highly enough to be offered Mensa membership which recruits members from the top 2% in IQ in the general population.Such children do exist even in areas dominated by existing grammar schools.
Catseye wrote:
Midnight wrote:The type of child who is capable of getting A* for gcse maths in primary.
Do you many year 6 children capable of getting an A* at gcse maths at primary ?

I got an A and distinction at S level maths at A level and went to Oxford to read medicine, I doubt I would of got a C at GCSE at the age of 10 years old.

Catseye it is always difficult to assess your own abilities and you may be being modest.

What I can say I knew a number of children in my youngest dd's year 6 being taught maths and answering questions at a GCSE level while preparing for the 11 plus .Both at school and with their tutor.So I do not dismiss this. I do not suggest children should be taking GCSE's at early ages unless they are especially gifted.

http://www.walsalladvertiser.co.uk/geni ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I am not being modest, QM, I genuinely believe I would not got a C grade at gcse at 10yrs old, I was too busy playing, making treehouses , scrumping apples with my mates.

I don't regret it, I had a fantastic and balanced childhood.

The most important thing to me was my loving parents-I only really realised that we were poor when I had to present my free school dinner ticket to the the dinner lady( I felt humiliated ) but all these things have made me the person I am for good or ill.

It's good teachers that make all the difference and even in my so called 'sink' comp in the 70's and very early 80's we had quite a few and I owe them everything.

Thank you, Mr Morgan -if you are still alive.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now