Year 4 Cat scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Litch123

Year 4 Cat scores

Post by Litch123 »

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help - I've got my Year 4 Cat scores for my son VR 110 - Quant 115 - Non V 113 - Spatial 123 - Overall 115 - what does this equate too for 11+ that he would pass - or are they quite low?? The literature that comes with the score says that Cat scores around 118-120 suggest suitability for the Kent Test selection... is that for Year 5 or Year 4? as I thought they didn't assess suitability till Year 5 cats... All very confusing.. Anyone that has any words of wisdom, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:P
PerpetualStudent

Re: Year 4 Cat scores

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Litch123,

You can read more about CAT scores on the GL assessment website e.g.https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/media/1 ... report.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. there have also been a number of threads that discuss their meaning and use if you'd like to do a search on the forum for "cat scores".

I have no expertise on this subject but have done some background reading to understand my own DC's scores.

Since the test scores are standardised around an average of 100 with a maximum possible score of 141, your DS's results show he's in the borderline around the first standard deviation i.e. High average-above average zone for verbal reasoning, quant (maths), and non verbal reasoning and doing especially well in spatial reasoning.

There are no major discrepancies (I.e. >10) between the different categories that would suggest a learning difficulty. Otherwise the results don't really say anything hard and fast since this is your DS's first encounter with the tests. Was this him on a good day or a bad day? It is very common for DC to score more highly on a 2nd encounter. If your DS's scores stayed consistent then perhaps grammar school would be a stretch but, anyway, you would be making a judgement based on whether the target school seemed a good fit and how academically motivated your DS was when it came to it.

So these tests are just indicative and not a judgement. Y4 is early. Any 11+ work now is mostly about encouraging wide reading to build up vocabulary and comprehension. This is good for any kid regardless of academic ability.

HTH
PS
Litch123

Re: Year 4 Cat scores

Post by Litch123 »

Thanks PS

Very helpful - thing is not to get too neurotic about the scores - the grammar system in my area is a little competitive to say the least!!! - and as you say it is the first time he has encountered these tests - he was a little stressed by them I seem to remember, so I need to work on his confidence!!

Also, encouraging building up vocabulary and comprehension by reading is a must - something we have become a little lax on of late!!

Thanks again.

Litch123
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now