How reliable are mock exams?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: How reliable are mock exams?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would honestly NOT read too much into a mock result, either positive or negative. The only thing they are usefull for is if you have a particularly nervous child about being in a roomful of strangers and to identify any gaps that you may not have noticed (assuming that gap in knowledge appears in one of the questions, of course).

It is dangerous to assume the result means anything as, whatever those who promote these tests say, you are not up against precisely the same cohort. Many, many children succeed at 11+ having never been to a mock...remember that....
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

I agree Kenyancowgirl, I'm trying not to over-analyze the mock results (as hard as it is). In the next 3 months the lower achievers can have a big sprint and the top achievers can have a burn-out; the rankings could turn upside down before the actual SET in September, there are just too many variables. And as you say, there are lots of kids who will do the actual test who never sat any mocks.

In my DD's case her Sutton and Wallington scores were miles apart, so the only conclusion I can draw from her mock result is that nothing is certain and anything can happen :wink:
crsmith

Post by crsmith »

I would agree they are a useful tool like everything else. I think they are advantageous for two reasons:
* They get students used to the exam situation. Some students get overly nervous and go "blank" for the first exam. I know of two students this year, that found the mock daunting and did much worse than they should. One completely messed up the answer sheet and so were able to talk about that and what to do.
* As mentioned above, it gives you feedback on where there weaknesses are and what you need to focus on.
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

We did Sutton and Wallington Mocks last year - you need to be getting comfortably in late 220s or early 230s in those for a good result at SET in my opinion.

The actual exam was in my son's opinion tougher - you also need to factor in additional stress and many many more kids. Each session at SET has about 500 plus kids.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thanks for the information Wimbles. I suspected the same re the result. When you say later 220's/ early 230's is that just passing the SET?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now