Dr. Channellors, Chesham and Becaonsfield Home Criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AnshuJani

Dr. Channellors, Chesham and Becaonsfield Home Criteria

Post by AnshuJani »

Hello

Does anyone know if there is a minimum time one has to stay at a particular location within the catchment area of above schools to be considered for a place in the school?

We have heard some schools requires a family to be staying a minimum of 2 years before they consider a place.

Looking at school website and other resources, we can't seem to find any information.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Dr. Channellors, Chesham and Becaonsfield Home Criteria

Post by Sally-Anne »

The information is contained in the Admissions Policy for each school, which is displayed on their website.

The deadline for Dr. Challoners High (girls), Chesham and Beaconsfield is the same: 1st October in the year preceding admission. That is two weeks before the 11+ results are announced.

The only school with an earlier deadline is Dr. Challoners (boys).
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

A minimum time? Frankly that sounds as if you are trying to "play the system" when you have no intention of living near the schools in the longer term. This will mean your child has a long commute and misses out on the after-school and community opportunities there, and you ae depriving families who genuinely live in the area of access to a place.

If you genuinely think a grammar is everything for your child, be aware all Bucks schools are cachement based and you will only be in cachement for one school, or two tops.
So look at the maps and make your own decision.

I suppose in your defence this is marginally better than address fraud (where a family buys a house and rents it out while pretending to live there....) Don't think about that, the Bucks grammars are well aware it happens and will catch you out!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Aethel, I think that's possibly a bit harsh. I think the poster is using the word "stay" interchangeably with the word "live", i.e. they would move to Bucks in advance of the application, not that they will only "stay" here for a minimum time.

That is a perfectly legitimate thing to do (provided the move is a genuine one, as you say.)
AnshuJani

Post by AnshuJani »

Correct Sally.

We are looking to move in to the area for long term but has no intention to move if the the schools turn around and say we haven't lived around the area for long enough which will mean a huge amount of time, energy, money and hassle.

No intention of playing the system!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to look very carefully at the Upper school options should your daughter not qualify.

Make sure you are in catchment for one you like.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

AnshuJani wrote:Correct Sally.

We are looking to move in to the area for long term but has no intention to move if the the schools turn around and say we haven't lived around the area for long enough which will mean a huge amount of time, energy, money and hassle.

No intention of playing the system!!!
I'm glad to hear it, and please forgive any cynicism on here. We do unfortunately have problems with people playing the system rather too often, and all our members have a very finely tuned radar for possible issues!

As Guest55 says, please do look carefully at where you might live in order to access the best alternative schools if your daughter doesn't qualify. The counterpart Upper Schools are the Amersham School, Chiltern Hills Academy (Chesham), Beaconsfield Upper School and possibly Chalfonts Community College and the Misbourne School (Great Missenden).

They are a very mixed bag indeed, and you need to do your research thoroughly. If a child doesn't qualify, Bucks can be a case of "out of the frying pan and into the fire" unless you are very careful.

Where are you currently located (which Local Education Authority), and what are your options there?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Apologies AnshuJani, your original wording made it sounds as if you were planning to move into cahement for a short time, get a place for a child, and then merrily move back to your original town of choosing, having succeeded in "getting your child into grammar".

I fully appreciate you want to make sure that your move is to the right cachement for your desired school options. I'm afraid there are so many posts on here
From people who do blatantly play the system it makes me cynical!

Good luck with your planned relocation. Do be aware of the upper options too though: with the best prep in the world every child can have an "off day", and if you can't get an appeal then they may end up travelling out by bus to an Upper even if you live next door to the grammar school...
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Do you plan to rent or move there? If rent you need to prove a tenancy agreement of at least 6 months beyond Sept of Y7 of entry. Which is tricky.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now