Brilliant children who are destined for grammar... (TFIC)...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Re: Brilliant children who are destined for grammar... (TFIC

Post by Reading Mum »

scary mum wrote:Checking in from afar. Mine is more along the lines of "heard in the aisles of Waitrose". At about the age of 3 DD was asked if she would like some vanilla ice cream. "Is it Madagascan vanilla?" was the prompt reply :lol:
We had a similar experience involving a request for balsamic vinegar for her salad.
She also had the staff at Rick Stein's bistro straining OJ with a tea strainer for her after she mentioned that she 'preferred it without bits' - she was 2 1/2.
What have I done?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Tinkers wrote:Not sure about brilliant answers, but from a very early age DD often gave what we call 'engineer's' answers. Completely accurate but absolutely no help whatsoever. I Suppose having two engineers as parents is the cause.
E.g.
'Do you know when you are now?'
'Yes, in the car' :roll:

Now she is also a complete pedant, but doesn't want to be an engineer. I think it's a loss to the profession, but engineering's loss will be another profession's gain.
Reminds me of the accountant joke:

A man is flying his balloon and becomes totally lost. Spotting someone walking a dog in the field below, he descends to a point where he can be heard and shouts down:

"Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"
"Of course. You're 50 feet above the ground"
"Thanks. Are you an accountant?"
"Yes, how did you know?"
"Because your information is very accurate, but totally useless."
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

That's a well known joke amongst my profession, but missing the end. It's also about a manager not an accountant in the version I know.

"So you must be a manager"
"Yes. How did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is, you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Update. Disaster has struck, DD1 showed my genius child an episode of the Simpsons.
I fear this is an end to his precocity.
I tried to send him to bed afterwards and he told me not to have a cow.
We are doomed!
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Aethel wrote:Update. Disaster has struck, DD1 showed my genius child an episode of the Simpsons.
We are doomed!
But wait! The Simpsons is actually loaded with a lot of maths and math jokes. There is even a book about it. And relax. :D

"The Simpsons and their Mathematical Secrets" by Simon Singh

Edited 1x with the title once I found it
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PerpetualStudent wrote:
Aethel wrote:Update. Disaster has struck, DD1 showed my genius child an episode of the Simpsons.
We are doomed!
But wait! The Simpsons is actually loaded with a lot of maths and math jokes. There is even a book about it. And relax. :D

"The Simpsons and their Mathematical Secrets" by Simon Singh

Edited 1x with the title once I found it
It was the highlight of a fun day out at the Institute of Education for DS1 and fellow A level Maths students when they were in the sixth form :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Today he told me that he wanted to have lots of tea because his appetite was "gargantuous".... I'm a bit worried that while his vocabulary is coming along nicely, his suffixes definitely need work, and his y1 teacher may not approve of our home teaching methods.

Oh the agonies of DIY preparation....
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

The new series of Child Genius was back on tonight. I know it's tacky but I still find myself watching it irresistably and hoping desperately that the children of the worst parents get knocked out. Tonight dd walked out saying it was too sad (as in the original meaning of sad) and ds was shooting at the TV telling the boy to run away from home - so I think I might not manage the whole series this year :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I watched the last few minutes... I hate it...the kids are not having a normal upbringing, the parents are, in the main, horrid....they treat them like lab rats not children, and I don't think it should be encouraged on national tv. It is like a visual representation of the worst helicopter parents.....I am sure it is edited to show the parents in the worst light, however, I do wonder why any parent would allow themselves to be shown on this as none of them come off well, in my humble opinion.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I watched the last few minutes... I hate it...the kids are not having a normal upbringing, the parents are, in the main, horrid....they treat them like lab rats not children, and I don't think it should be encouraged on national tv. It is like a visual representation of the worst helicopter parents.....I am sure it is edited to show the parents in the worst light, however, I do wonder why any parent would allow themselves to be shown on this as none of them come off well, in my humble opinion.
Because they genuinely think that they are right - and either that the rest of us don't care enough about our children to do as they do, or our children aren't worth bothering about anyway?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now