postivies of the 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Freedom

response to Guest

Post by Freedom »

You're right about the middle classes trying to escape the school fees, Guest. Grammar school places should be means tested in my opinion.

Post by Guest »

Two thoughts. What about the fact that high earners are also higher tax payers and are therefore contributing more to the system? Also, grammar schools are an academic based education, whereas independent schools offer a broader curriculum. Grammar schools offer an education which is not suited to everybody, hence the 11+ testing. Although entry to an independent schools is by means of an entrance exam, the pass mark is significantly lower.
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Have to disagree about the broadness of the curriculum thing from previous guest. I have found at least 2 of the higher performing independent schools to have an extremely narrow curriculum that concentrates solely on academic achievement with almost no creativity beyond an Art GCSE. The one thing that the UKs comprehensives are good at is finding where the child's talents lie and encouraging them in that direction. After all we are not all mathematical geniuses, and some children will excel in a creative rather than rigorous academic environment. Some (but I realise not all) high performing independents (and grammars) are only interested in league table achievements which I think is a great pity for a lot of children in this country.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now