Advice about Raw Scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bunnyjo

Advice about Raw Scores

Post by Bunnyjo »

Evening all,

My eldest recently decided that they would like to sit the entrance test for the only grammar school in our county (QEGS, Penrith). During the summer holidays I have familiarised them with the format and question types that may appear in the 3 tests they will sit (GL - VR, NVR and Maths). Having taken 3 GL tests under 'exam conditions' (the tests were the ones available on the GL website) my child's raw scores were 65/80 (VR) 66/80 (NVR) and 50/50 (maths). My child will be one of the youngest taking the test - they will be 10y1m on the date of the test (7th October).

The plan is that my child will practise more of the VR and NVR assessments and we have purchased the GL Pack 1 and Pack 2 assessments for both VR and NVR, to ensure they prepared. I don't plan to work on their maths as they scored 100% and completed the test in less than half the time allocated.

Even without further preparation, to my untrained eyes, I think my child is getting high enough scores to gain a place at QEGS, but I am finding it hard to find any information about converting raw scores to standardised scores, and how age will impact those scores.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Should we be looking at using other papers in addition to the GL assessment packs? I have posted here as the local board appears to be very quiet.

Thank you.
PerpetualStudent

Re: Advice about Raw Scores

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Bunnyjo,

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with QEGS Penrith and how competitive entry is but GL assessment and raw scores often come up for discussion in the Kent section. Kent uses GL VR, NVR, Maths and includes spatial reasoning in the NVR test. Since the GL packs don't include examples of spatial reasoning forumites have suggested CGP as a supplier of sample questions. I don't know if QEGS test spatial reasoning or not.

Regarding the maths tests, I would be reluctant to assume the one sample test provided includes every type of question likely to be encountered in the final test. I think many forumites have found that practice scores can be quite variable depending on the practice paper and the day. It may be your DC will have no trouble whatsoever but I'd be inclined to run through a few more to be on the safe side.

Good luck.
PS
Bunnyjo

Re: Advice about Raw Scores

Post by Bunnyjo »

Evening PS,

Thank you for your reply. I do agree that one test does not necessarily cover all the areas of maths that my child may encounter in the entrance test. We will go through some maths papers to ensure they are comfortable with all the question types that may be offered. In terms of question types, the HT of QEGS has led me to believe that the tests are based solely on GL Assessments.

It is difficult to work out how competitive QEGS is. The intake for this year will be 150, previously it was 128; parents from previous cohorts have estimated that around 240 children sit the test and data from the LA showed that 153 first choice applications were made for 2015-16 year, but this figure included invalid applications from children who did not sit the entrance test. Thus, it looks like there is approximately 2 children sitting the entrance test for every place and roughly 1.2 first choice applications for every place. If figures remain similar this year, then there will be 1.6 children sitting the entrance test for every place and near 1:1 ratio for first choice applications to places. A crystal ball would be rather handy...

I will also have a look at the Kent board and thank you again,

Bunnyjo.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now