Are we OK with DIY or should I get a tutor?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsB

Re: Are we OK with DIY or should I get a tutor?

Post by MrsB »

Daogroupie wrote:Some parents want to pay someone else to own the problem for them and they don't want to get involved at all. They don't even look at the work that comes home and they can't wait to leave their student at the tutor and get away.
That's quite harsh. Perhaps some feel that way, but many choose to pay a tutor because of other commitments, lack of ability, lack of confidence or because tutoring can also be stressful and some DCs are more responsive with tutors. We DIYed, but we were lucky enough that DH had a good understanding of the maths concepts and is a teacher, and I could manage the English. I would not criticise anyone who chooses to pay.

But I agree that the answer to the OP's question is that if things are going fine, then stick with what you are doing
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Trakka wrote:Exams2018, I don't know which part of English you are worried about but if it is the writing have you tried the AE Tuition Creative Writing workbooks? I am using these with my DD and I think the exercises are quite good.

Also I have just purchased the First past the post "Vocabulary in Context" which I like the look of - I am about to try it out with DD this weekend! Rather than just memorising lots of words it helps students infer the meaning.
Comprehension is a problem area. So far I am unable to figure out how to sort it out. If I ask DD to summarise the passage, she explains it nicely BUT when she starts to answer the questions, she make a lot of mistakes. To begin with, I am making her read & listen to audio books - a little bit every day. She loves writing. However, I have no clue how good it is and if its good enough (for Wallington Grammar). I think I need to get her a proper English tutor.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will buy AE tuition creative writing books and vocabulary in context books
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

The CGP English 11+ study book also has some sections on how to answer comprehension questions. I find the CGP study books very good at explaining things.

Also someone on this forum kindly suggested the following link for marking creative writing. It's £19.50 per piece. Might be worth looking into if you just want to get a feel for your DD's writing.

It won't let me post the link so I'll PM you.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

We found the Hadyn Perry Once a Week Comprehension books useful for comprehension - though it's one of DD's strong points.

We DIY'd for Wallington Girls, and are waiting for results now. We're both pleased it's over I think at the moment! To be successful I think you need a willing child (DS1 might need a tutor when his time comes, he doesn't work well with DH or me!), a plan, and a way of marking progress.

I'll PM you some specific info too.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't forget there are lots of old KS2 tests [with answers] for comprehension.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

check also book named

Descriptosaurus: Supporting Creative Writing for Ages 8-14 on , you can check few glimpse of pages on amazon ..
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Exams2018 wrote:
Trakka wrote:Exams2018, I don't know which part of English you are worried about but if it is the writing have you tried the AE Tuition Creative Writing workbooks? I am using these with my DD and I think the exercises are quite good.

Also I have just purchased the First past the post "Vocabulary in Context" which I like the look of - I am about to try it out with DD this weekend! Rather than just memorising lots of words it helps students infer the meaning.
Comprehension is a problem area. So far I am unable to figure out how to sort it out. If I ask DD to summarise the passage, she explains it nicely BUT when she starts to answer the questions, she make a lot of mistakes. To begin with, I am making her read & listen to audio books - a little bit every day. She loves writing. However, I have no clue how good it is and if its good enough (for Wallington Grammar). I think I need to get her a proper English tutor.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will buy AE tuition creative writing books and vocabulary in context books
Exams2018, it does sound like your daughter is progressing well, you enjoy working with her and know her learning style better than anyone else, so I'd keep doing what you're doing. If you're thinking about an English tutor just to get a feel for how her writing compares against other children, maybe you could find someone willing to have a read of a few of her essays and give you their feedback? It may turn out she does not need an English tutor and paying someone for a few hours of reading and commenting on your daughter's work would be much cheaper than regular lessons.

As for comprehension, it tends to be a challenge for a lot of children, especially the inference questions, i.e. those where the answers can't be just picked out of the text but need thinking about and reading between the lines. Perhaps this will be of help:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/standard/ ... evision/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd focus on discussing small passages rather than summarising what your daughter has read. Ask her questions about the text and then ask her to explain what made her give that particular answer - that's what I did with my DCs. If she gets something wrong, teach her to explore other ways of looking at the text. I don't think you need a tutor to work on comprehension, as long as you are comfortable doing it with her.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Another practice resource for inference questions:
https://www.ereadingworksheets.com/free ... orksheets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It offers worksheets and answers and even thoug it's an American website, I don't think it should make any difference (other than some spellings).
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

I'll hijack the thread with the same question.
Context is : DS is currently top of class on most subjects and gifted list, and writes stories with incredible creativity and language (I thought I was good at his age, but I think even my ego has to admit he is way ahead :) )

Now thing is, while my wife and I have largely the skills needed to coach him, he almost feel like a pre-teen and resent anything we try to suggest him. He actually embrace anything a teacher gives him and relish the learning, but when it's from us, you can feel the anger simmering.

Hence, even though it is against my ethos (and would be a waste of money), I am feeling more and more inclined to go the tutor route, maybe once a week for a year.
Did anyone deal with similar kid profile and managed to home coach them? Even computerised solutions (like IXL or Sumdog) no longer appeal to him if we suggest it, so not sure how to encourage him to do anything without involving a third party.

That's actually a wider problem, he enjoys many diverse things, as long as it's been recommended by a third party. Anything from mom/dad/brother is deemed uninteresting (until someone else recommends it). Feels like having a teen at 9 :mrgreen:
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

If you think he would not take tuition from you, then it's up to you to work out whatbsolution is best for you as a family. Ask him if he wants to go to a grammar, for a start.
Are the grammars near to you or miles away?
If nearby, then go to an open morning with him and say "want to come here? There's a test to pass. Want to learn with us, or go to a teacher? " and then see what he says. You may be surprised. At 9 children may not know everything, but if they are motivated, they will have enough view to tell you their preferred learning method...