Mock results - what can be inferred ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thanhmy

Mock results - what can be inferred ?

Post by thanhmy »

We've just got the results from DDs mock exam in Trafford, and I'm trying to get some sense of how they might compare to the real thing - does anyone know whether the range of children that do mocks is representative of the real exams or is the standard higher/lower? DD got near enough the average mark (50th centile) on all three papers.. but she is not average in her school, always in the top group for everything..
Daogroupie

Re: Mock results - what can be inferred ?

Post by Daogroupie »

This is because she is on a bigger stage now. Being in the top groups in your primary school is just a geographical accident. Had you lived in a different house there might have be others who could give her more of a run for the money. She will be competing against students from top tables at many different primary schools.

The mock papers have revealed that amongst her cohort she is average, so more preparation is necessary to take her beyond the average. The mock has done its job and given you the information you require to maximise the possibilities of success. DG
JJD

Re: Mock results - what can be inferred ?

Post by JJD »

I too like yourself decided to put DS through a mock test so that he could get a feel for the test environment etc. I was surprised with his results as he didn't do as well as we thought he would.

However, from the results we were able to understand where he had struggled so decided to work on those areas with him. Enrolled for another mock and the results although a little better were far from what we were expecting this time round. For both mock tests we worked through the incorrect answers together with DS but we did not reveal the test results to him.

We've just had the results for the real tests and DS has secured a place quite comfortably at QMGS. So I wold suggest using the mock results as a learning tool for both parent and child to find which topics require more practice. Hope this helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now