Are we doing enough?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum-of-two

Are we doing enough?

Post by mum-of-two »

I'm not sure there really is an answer to this but I suppose I'm after a little reassurance from those who have been through this.

My DS is in year 5 of an independent school where he is doing well but not outstanding in a group of well motivated and bright kids. He has started group tutoring (2 hours of lessons and a little homework each week). He also does 1/2 hour exam prep at school every week. Other than that it's daily school homework and reading at home. Is this enough at this stage or should I be doing more? I was thinking perhaps leave it at this for now and build up more in the new year (although not sure what to do to enhance what he is already doing).

We are GL testing - Maths, English and VR. He 'gets' the work and is capable, although his spelling can be shocking and he is prone to making silly mistakes (ie transposing numbers, adding instead of taking away, etc).

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Mum of Two
mum-of-two
Daogroupie

Re: Are we doing enough?

Post by Daogroupie »

This will greatly depend on the exams he is sitting and the results he is currently getting.

Some exams require a lot high pass marks than others. DG
kns706

Re: Are we doing enough?

Post by kns706 »

That sounds plenty at this stage in year 5. I can't comment specifically on GL as my DS did the CEM test and we DIY'd but I would say we probably did an hour per week in total but split over the week days. We also read daily both to him and him to us. We did do slightly more as the test approached after May/June.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now