What is the best way forward for 11+ for DS

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Vik

Re: What is the best way forward for 11+ for DS

Post by Vik »

Thanks all for your suggestions, my DS is only 4 but as I am planning to move to Kent hence, I am planning for bit a ahead of time. I know people have or will have question that how do I know if my DS is a grammar material or his hobbies and all so my answer is, I am only trying to provide him a good environment and even do not know if he will wish to go to grammar or not. I am just trying to do everything I can but rest depends on DS.
About Prep>indi route, I like it because what I am thinking if somehow DS does not get into grammar or does not want to attend grammar then I will better send him to a good indi so having that thought in my mind, I think choosing private prep is a good option. I know some will say, if cannot get into grammar then getting into good indi would also be not easy, I know this but as I said earlier, I am just trying to provide him better opportunities I can.. :)
Vik

Post by Vik »

@Amber: you are correct....
Amber

Post by Amber »

Vik wrote:@Amber: you are correct....
As you were advised on that site (my first look at it!), you have very good schools near to where you are living now and uprooting to try and get your son into grammar school just because you believe (mistakenly) that a grammar school or a private school is automatically better than a local comprehensive in Hampshire is a very risky and imho totally unnecessary strategy. But, your child, your choice, obviously. :)
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Vik wrote:I have asked few and they all have different views about it
Most likely because they don't know you, your family or your DS. Only you can decide what is best for your DC and your family.
Vik wrote:Thanks all for your suggestions, my DS is only 4 but as I am planning to move to Kent
Have a look around the schools in the area you are planning on moving to (I doubt the secondary schools will be willing to show you around). Move as close as possible to the one you prefer. Put your DCs name down and see what happens. I doubt you can plan with any level of accuracy over such a long period of time.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, do remember that a good school now may not be in 7 years time. If you really want to move I would just choose an area and then check that it has reasonable schools. But then, I would stay put & avoid a 2 tier system completely. Presumably you have friends and maybe a support network locally? That counts for a lot. If you move once your children are at school it can be hard to meet people, especially if you are working full time. I haven't read all of the other thread as it was very long, but you seem to be getting the same advice on here!
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just a thought, at if your DS is already 4, you will have to move into catchment for your desired infant school asap, to be sure of submitting an 'on time' application. The closing date for primary school applications is January 15th.

(I assume that you mean, he has turned 4 since September 1st this year? If he was already 4 by the end of August, you should already have a Reception place for him locally for this academic year and would be making a mid year application in your new area - always a more difficult process in terms of getting the school you really want).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you prepare for state selective school then you will already be at the right level for the private schools. In our area I know of students getting in the 300s for state selective school who then are able to secure a place at the local private schools without doing any extra work.

If however you are ready to pay to have the school do it for you then a private prep should do its job and get you in the local private schools. But do not rely on a prep to get you into local state selectives unless you speak to parents who have got a place through the prep, not through tutoring.

The secondary destinations pages of our local preps look very impressive but the students at the local preps tell me that nobody has secured any of those places without going to a tutor as well as paying for the prep. The four state school students I know in the top ten of DAO this year would easily secure a place at any of our local private schools with no extra work and last year the state student who came second at DAO by one mark and first at HBS did just that. Got a scholarship place at a top local private school having put down the pen at the end of the second round of HBS in early October and sat the private school in January with no extra work.

So private prep if you want someone else to do it for you but consider saving yourself a lot of money by doing it yourself or using a local tutor who knows the exams. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

Daogroupie wrote:So private prep if you want someone else to do it for you but consider saving yourself a lot of money by doing it yourself or using a local tutor who knows the exams. DG
DG, this child is 4 years old. Please reassure me that you are not suggesting tutoring him needs to be considered yet. :|
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

We've never had to worry about paying for schooling because the local state primary is outstanding and up to now my brood have qualified for the local (also outstanding) grammar school. If this wasn't the case I'd seriously consider the prep/private route. It's a valid alternative.

That said, I do have a nagging doubt. There are a few children in our area who have opted for prep schools and I notice they don't mix outside of school as well as the state primary school children. There are numerous school run activities that exclude those not at the school. Village fayre, sports tournaments, church services, school band, residential trips, plays, cycling proficiency, etc.. Impromptu "gatherings" are organised by the children in school. Parental friendships play a part as well. We are constantly bumping into each other at these events and inevitably inviting friends to each others houses. Additional travel time probably exasperates the problem. The small number of children who went further afield for religious reasons also have similar issues.

Not much help I'm afraid but I would caution choosing a school for purely academic reasons. Happiness trumps academia in my book.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Amber, I am answering the question that was asked by the OP which was private prep versus state primary not discussing when to start tutoring. DG