negativity

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: negativity

Post by Guest55 »

The 11+ is not the same as the KS2 tests so teachers aren't really in a position to know. Many teachers won't ever have seen a paper either ...
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Our daughter was top table and a year or two ahead all the way through primary school. Every teacher said she was 11+ material...until year 5 when the teacher suddenly told us to lower our expectations and prepare her for the possibility of a non-selective school. We ignored this and went for broke, knowing she was more than capable and she passed by a very big margin.

However, there were children who had always struggled who were suddenly tutored and allowed to believe they would be going to grammar school with their friends and neighbours. I guess the teachers advice was aimed at these children, having previously dealt with the disappointment and behaviour of those who failed the test. How does your son's academic ability compare to his peers? Have you done any mock tests? He may well be heading for a pass, but the majority don't go to grammar school.
martink58

Post by martink58 »

I'm b-b-back.... with good news. My son has passed the Bexley Selection test. Not top 180 but not far off. We stepped up the tutoring a bit after your encouraging responses. My wife did most of the work and we had one paid tutor throughout and a maths tutor for 6 or 7 weeks.
My son was not really encouraged by his primary school. He was asking to be moved to the top table in class for ages but, surprise, surprise, only moved last week when the school were made aware of the results before the parents.
He has also taken the Kent test. We await the results but he was more confident about this tent than the Bexley Selection.

Thanks for all the positivity you sent me. It really helped. I hope this thread catches the eye of the parents and children just setting out on their own 11+ journey.

Thanks so much,
Martin
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thanks for coming back and updating us - well done to your son :)
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Well done to your son and well done to you for not giving up.
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

Sparklecat wrote:Our daughter was top table and a year or two ahead all the way through primary school. Every teacher said she was 11+ material...until year 5 when the teacher suddenly told us to lower our expectations and prepare her for the possibility of a non-selective school. We ignored this and went for broke, knowing she was more than capable and she passed by a very big margin.

However, there were children who had always struggled who were suddenly tutored and allowed to believe they would be going to grammar school with their friends and neighbours. I guess the teachers advice was aimed at these children, having previously dealt with the disappointment and behaviour of those who failed the test. How does your son's academic ability compare to his peers? Have you done any mock tests? He may well be heading for a pass, but the majority don't go to grammar school.
The year group teacher of a friend's DD told her parents not to bother with the 11+ or tutoring, " If she was clever enough she'd pass," was the advice. As there were 4 others in her class who entered the exam it seemed an odd thing to say to parents.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Almost every child in our year who took the test had tuition/coaching of some description. If there was a way of assessing children without the sharp elbowed middle classes buying advantage, I would go along with it. But I wouldn't forego my daughter's place at grammar school out of some misplaced principle.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Sparklecat wrote:Almost every child in our year who took the test had tuition/coaching of some description. If there was a way of assessing children without the sharp elbowed middle classes buying advantage, I would go along with it. But I wouldn't forego my daughter's place at grammar school out of some misplaced principle.
This. I really don’t know of any children who have gone into these exams blind. Whether you’re paying somebody or giving them exam papers at home, it’s still tuition.
walidal

Post by walidal »

Martin`s case illustrates that parents know their children`s capability more than teachers. The 11+ exam differs from what is taught at class. My daughter goes to a state school and we had to teach her NVR and VR from scratch. As for English, the subjects tackled were more focused on shuffled sentences, word bank, cloze and others that sound odd in a typical classroom environment . In Maths, we kept it simple by concentrating in year 5 on subjects reserved for year 6.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now