Mock Exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2tinkers

Re: Mock Exams

Post by 2tinkers »

We did 2 mocks with the same provider SGSPTA 6 weeks apart. The first exam last year was MC maths and English, the second standard maths and MC English with a written piece at the end. Very different results for both but a good idea of where DS was within that particular cohort.
I believe this year is slightly different as you may be able to compare 2 MC papers. DS found these helpful for sitting exams in a large group, marking answer sheets and the feedback/breakdown from the English papers was helpful, maths not very as no feedback given ( except generic).
Any more mocks and i think DS and I would have fallen out.
OP, unless the mock providers give you the marked papers back or detailed feedback, in my opinion, more than 2 are excessive unless different exam types like CEM and those set by schools.
WMMum

Re: Mock Exams

Post by WMMum »

We did two mock exams, one in May and the second one in July. The May one was far enough away from the 11+ exam in September that there was amble time to work on weak areas. It also gave my DD an idea of the ‘feeling’ of being left at the exam venue, and the speed and structure of the exam. The July one was still far enough away from September to be able to work on weaker areas, and work on her confidence if her score was low. As it was, we found speed was the biggest issue and had two months to focus on this. DD1 said that doing the mock exams really made a difference to her. We also used them to try out the snack DD took with her for the real exam.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now