Grammar schools leavers destination

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cheerio1357

Re: Grammar schools leavers destination

Post by cheerio1357 »

anotherdad wrote:
Aethel wrote:I suspect, like any school, it depends upon the demographic of students and families who enter and pass through the school. Certain parents value some degrees more than others:
There is often an obsession with numbers of medicine/pharmacy/law/engineering.
Likewise a “thing” about Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/Bristol or similar.

So perhaps what you should be asking is “do the children leave and go to where they want to be”, rather than where Mum/Dad/others think they should go.....

Given the grammar school cohort is generally quite academic, I’d expect a broad range of unis and subjects, and comparatively few vocational courses.
That is the nub of it. My daughter's year group (Y13) is unusually obsessed with medicine and for many of the students, it's less about what they actually want to do and more about what their parents expect them to be doing. What has been encouraging, although sadly upsetting in some quarters, is that universities appear to be good at differentiating between the two types of applicant. Some of the girls whose parents have been pushing for medicine for a few years have struggled to get interviews and those interviewed have had few offers between them. The girls who have a genuine desire to pursue medicine as a career have got the offers they wanted, even though in some cases they have less impressive grade predictions.

Who would you rather have as a medical student? The young person who's demonstrated a long-term commitment to care by working in a care home alongside his/her A-levels or the young person whose experience is two days stood at mum's shoulder as she carried out heart surgery?
That is truly sad for a child to be pushed and pressurised by parents. Somehow from my experience, I can say that such ( most) kids will one day break out of their shell and be adamant about their life and their choices.
cheerio1357

Post by cheerio1357 »

loobylou wrote:Also careers destinations change over time. The person who gets a job at 21 after university in a bank might leave and get a job somewhere else by 27. It would be impossible to collate meaningful data about careers I would have thought.
I believe around 30% of those studying medicine at Oxford do not progress and go onto their foundation years as doctors so even degrees do not really tell you always what people choose then to do.
I am also trying to figure out whether other vocations even stand a chance when a DC is in a grammar school. Hopefully yes. Universities mostly publish the industries or even specific names of companies where their students gain a job but difficult to establish what it is that grammar school pupils like to do; whether it is mainly STEM or opportunities for other off the beaten path careers..
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

loobylou wrote:Also careers destinations change over time. The person who gets a job at 21 after university in a bank might leave and get a job somewhere else by 27. It would be impossible to collate meaningful data about careers I would have thought.
I believe around 30% of those studying medicine at Oxford do not progress and go onto their foundation years as doctors so even degrees do not really tell you always what people choose then to do.
In the same vein, in my nearly 30 years of working in engineering in various places, I’ve only come across a couple of Oxbridge engineers (and one of those really failed to impress me or my colleagues). I’m trying to remember if I know anyone who went to Imperial and can’t at the moment.
cheerio1357

Post by cheerio1357 »

Daogroupie wrote:Jeremy and Teresa did all right from their grammar schools! DG
That's good info, did not know. I do wonder though whether the corporate world has since attributed a certain specific type of stature to GS pupils. My cue is from an article I read earlier on but have also learned to take any news report with a lump of salt!

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... nds-survey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm really confused about why you started this thread ... could you explain? Are you trying to compare GS with comps or Private schools?
cheerio1357

Post by cheerio1357 »

Guest55 wrote:I'm really confused about why you started this thread ... could you explain? Are you trying to compare GS with comps or Private schools?
Nope, I am not. I am merely asking whether there is collated data on where GS children move on to after their studies. Just to make it clear, I am not asking for a debate here. I have seen a few GS websites and there are leaver destinations for some, yes but I have not found anything further so was hoping anyone here could shed some light.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ok...but why? Having the information is meaningless unless ou plan to compare with state schools and independent schools. Are you a journalist, for example, trying to find an article? Are you a parent trying to work out best options? In which case I refer you to my first point....
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Daogroupie wrote:Jeremy and Teresa did all right from their grammar schools! DG
They certainly got to the top positions in their respective organisations, but I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of either of them.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

cheerio1357 wrote:
I am also trying to figure out whether other vocations even stand a chance when a DC is in a grammar school. Hopefully yes. Universities mostly publish the industries or even specific names of companies where their students gain a job but difficult to establish what it is that grammar school pupils like to do; whether it is mainly STEM or opportunities for other off the beaten path careers..
I think they do. I see a large number of medical students and I really genuinely don't see anyone who says their school pushed them down that path (not like my day where clever children who liked sciences were definitely "encouraged" to do medicine) - and I do ask those questions to nearly all my students. I do see a worrying number whose families have insisted on it as a destination though. I don't know whether schools actively ask the questions to try and weed those children out. By far the best students we see are those who are doing it because of a genuine passion for it.
cheerio1357

Post by cheerio1357 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Ok...but why? Having the information is meaningless unless ou plan to compare with state schools and independent schools. Are you a journalist, for example, trying to find an article? Are you a parent trying to work out best options? In which case I refer you to my first point....
That is a good question which I am equipped to answer. Always having been in state sector, the private seems a bit daunting to me, financially. And as you can see from my posts, I am a GS mum-to-be ( hopefully!). And would want to stay that way. Specifically why: tbh, just to put my mind at rest. Thanks!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now