In which selective schools one can get offer from outside

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jxp

Re: In which selective schools one can get offer from outsid

Post by jxp »

why not work to move to a region that has a good overall selection of schools (GS and others)
And where there region could be not too far from London?

I guess one such area will be Sutton.
Any other suggestion?
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

North Kingston? Tiffin Girls with the back up of an oustanding comprehensive - Grey Court New Malden? Tiffin Girls with Coombe Girls as a back up
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Chelmsford or nearby villages?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Do you have other children, OP? Do you need to consider primary schools or future secondary schools for them?
scary mum
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Newstead Wood have a catchment of 9 miles but you can be outside this and then move in by the date required by the LA to notify of change of address, for Bromley this is early December.

Wilmington Girls Grammar have a handful of places for those who score top in the maths element of the test

Bexley give places to the top 180 scorers regardless of distance.

Tonbridge grammar for girls have a good number of Governors places that are irrespective of distance but again require a high score, similar to Dartford girls Grammar. Kent also allow you to move into the area by early December to be classed as in-county and then many grammars you just need a pass.

These are all commutable to London.

However doing too many tests of too many different styles and having the stress of knowing you probably need a high score and/or move is not an ideal scenario.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

jxp wrote:
why not work to move to a region that has a good overall selection of schools (GS and others)
And where there region could be not too far from London?

I guess one such area will be Sutton.
Any other suggestion?
Orpington is such an area, you are in distance for the Bexley grammars, some of Kent grammars and Newstead. You also have the Outstsnsinn Comprehensive of Darrick Wood if Grammar plans don’t come to fruition.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Newstead Wood have a catchment of 9 miles but you can be outside this and then move in by the date required by the LA to notify of change of address, for Bromley this is early December.

Wilmington Girls Grammar have a handful of places for those who score top in the maths element of the test

Bexley give places to the top 180 scorers regardless of distance.

Tonbridge grammar for girls have a good number of Governors places that are irrespective of distance but again require a high score, similar to Dartford girls Grammar. Kent also allow you to move into the area by early December to be classed as in-county and then many grammars you just need a pass.

These are all commutable to London.

However doing too many tests of too many different styles and having the stress of knowing you probably need a high score and/or move is not an ideal scenario.
And if you will need to move, assuming that your DD qualifies for one of your preferred grammar schools take the one you are offered, forget about any you ranked higher and concentrate on moving near to the school offered asap. Don't stay on waiting lists or express Continuing Interest. If a 'better' place does come up and you accept it, you will be expected to get your DD to that school pretty soon after you are offered it, not something to boot It you have already spent time, energy and lots of money moving to somewhere completely different...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
jxp

Post by jxp »

Do you have other children, OP?
Just one child :-)

My main dilemma is whether to go for GS or send DD to a private school. There is a good independent school 15 miles away.

So weighing pros and cons for GS vs private school

For Grammar school

[1] I have no choice but to move - this means uprooting an otherwise stable life and the burden of insane mortgage (my current house mortgage is very low). In fact, for me sending DD to private school likely to come out cheaper than cost of moving!

[2] House price near GS is insane! If I move, I have to downgrade :(

For private school

[3] While I don't have to move, I am not sure how DD will cope with a 1-hour commute (using school bus) each way - especially during later years in GCSE/A-level.

[4] Paying pvt school fee and then moving near to school will be bit stupid move, IMHO.

I realize GS school exams and the whole thinking process can be very stressful (it is already causing me stress). So, I don't want to move BEFORE I get a guarantee that DD will get admittance to any GS.

Hence I asked the question of which schools are superselective so that I can defer the decision to move when I know for sure.

More I think about the issue, more confused I become :(
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The problem with delaying for a superselective is that your DD might not get a place at any of them. What would be your Plan B in that case? The indie? Bear in mind that independent school offers are only made in about February, so you would miss the residency deadlines for state schools if you wait for an indie offer in February (which, in the worst case scenario, you might not get).

An hour's commute is probably manageable by most children, assuming it's reliable and door to door, but if you're going to be reliant on a school bus it does limit your DD's ability to take part in after school activities. 15 miles is also a long way away from the friends she will make at school.

It's really tough if you know you don't want any of your local schools, but you will be allocated a local school in March if you don't get a place in one of the superselectives. You may be better off making sure that you're near a good local school in time for its residence cut-off and then hoping for a GS or indie as well. Sutton is indeed a good option for this.
Amber

Post by Amber »

How about a school which is neither private nor grammar, and would involve neither long commutes nor a house move?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now