In which selective schools one can get offer from outside

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jxp

Re: In which selective schools one can get offer from outsid

Post by jxp »

Ok, but as mad? points out, that's a consequence of a comprehensive intake rather than a pre-selected one and isn't an indicator of how your own child would perform in either setting.
Agree. If every Local Authority converts at least one school as selective, then the whole craze of GS might disappear for ever.

However, the child behaviour can be heavily influcenced by crowd s/he mixes with. In top GS, even the worst performer is often better than top performer in a random comprehensive school. It is all about increasing the probability of doing better.

If that is not the case, why would anyone go for GS?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In top GS, even the worst performer is often better than top performer in a random comprehensive school.
Having a DD at GS and some of her primary friends at local comps, I’d have to strongly disagree with that statement.
jxp

Post by jxp »

Perhaps I made a stereotype wrongly.

Maybe, the worst performers in GS are far better than worst performers in comprehensive schools? Is that a valid assumption?

I mean, there must be something good about GS for people to be crazy about them?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

jxp wrote:If every Local Authority converts at least one school as selective, then the whole craze of GS might disappear for ever.

However, the child behaviour can be heavily influcenced by crowd s/he mixes with. In top GS, even the worst performer is often better than top performer in a random comprehensive school. It is all about increasing the probability of doing better.

If that is not the case, why would anyone go for GS?
I don't follow your first sentence? How would converting a comprehensive school to a selective school cause GSs to disappear?

As for your second point, can you back that up or is that just an impression you have, because I don't believe it's true. Even here in Bucks, where we have total selection (no comprehensives), the students with the best GCSE and A level grades in the upper schools have got better results than those with the lowest grades at grammar schools.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

....all schools have bad behaviour and "problem" children. You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think GS/indie kids are somehow "better" in that respect. Clever kids can be very clever in manipulation/bullying etc and can also have higher than average spectrum disorders too.

You need to look properly at your local schools - to get a good in 2017/18 is impressive as the new Ofsted inspections it is much harder to get a high rating. Also, don't assume that just because you apply to an independent (even with a longer than ideal commute) that your DD will get a place. They set their own admissions criteria and their interview processes mean that even if you perform well in an entrance test, if they don't like the look of you, they don't have to offer you a place.

The argument for and against GS runs and runs....I suggest you have a look at the many threads about the perceived pros and cons, as that argument is all too familiar.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

jxp wrote:Perhaps I made a stereotype wrongly.

Maybe, the worst performers in GS are far better than worst performers in comprehensive schools? Is that a valid assumption?

I mean, there must be something good about GS for people to be crazy about them?
I dislike the term "worst performers" because many students with lower grades have performed very well to achieve those grades, perhaps from a challenging starting point or ongoing circumstances.

On what evidence are you basing your assumption? I don't think it's valid.

There is plenty to admire in grammar schools as there is in comprehensive and upper schools. You are right: People do "go crazy" for grammar schools. Having read through your thread, I would respectfully suggest that you might fit into that category, given the sacrifices you are considering to avoid good comprehensive schools on your doorstep.
Amber

Post by Amber »

In top GS, even the worst performer is often better than top performer in a random comprehensive school.
Absolute nonsense. I could cite many examples of GS pupils from round here who have done very badly at both GCSE and A level, and those from non-selective schools, (not even comps as in a selective area you don't have those!) who have done much better.
jxp

Post by jxp »

People do "go crazy" for grammar schools. Having read through your thread, I would respectfully suggest that you might fit into that category, given the sacrifices you are considering to avoid good comprehensive schools on your doorstep.
You are right. I am indeed trying to figure out whether GS are must have and if so, why?

Or it is just some snobbery of showing "my kids are better than yours"

There must be a reason behind this craze - right? Otherwise this entire website would not exist. It is also a fact that lots of people move houses just to be inside catchment areas of good GS. They can't be all wrong - isn't it?

If a student can do equally well in comprehensive schools, why do people so make much sacrifice financially and emotionally?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

And many, manymore people don’t move houses at all.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

jxp wrote:You are right. I am indeed trying to figure out whether GS are must have and if so, why?
They aren't, especially if you have good alternatives on your doorstep.
Or it is just some snobbery of showing "my kids are better than yours"
In some cases, absolutely yes!
There must be a reason behind this craze - right? Otherwise this entire website would not exist. It is also a fact that lots of people move houses just to be inside catchment areas of good GS. They can't be all wrong - isn't it?
The reasons are numerous and varied. They're not all wrong. It's about the most suitable place for each child and I respect any parent that moves to make that match possible, but many do move because of misguided views such as those you have voiced, perhaps because of an irrational fear of the alternatives or the misplaced assumption that a GS education is a guaranteed ticket to success in life.
If a student can do equally well in comprehensive schools, why do people so make much sacrifice financially and emotionally?
Gawd knows.