Saying hello

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsMck

Re: Saying hello

Post by MrsMck »

Hi, my daughter will also be sitting the 11plus this September. I am so nervous! She is a July born. Does anybody have any tips? :)
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Actually that isn't true bellabelly.

Age standardisation compares children born in the same month with each other. So August children are compared with August children and Sept children with Sept children and so on for all months. If August children do badly compared with Sept children in the raw scores then age standardisation ensures that there is no disadvantage. However, if August children did well compared with Sept, then the standardisation would ensure that Sept kids were not disadvantaged.

Thank you Kenyancowgirl, I had read up on the standardisation posts on here and got a rough idea but your explanation is a good one.

I’m trying to disregard the standardisation element as, like you say, it may end up making very little difference to her final score.

Children are so different but with mine, I can see a difference between those now 10 and my 9 yr old. I hope that the standardisation will help reduce that difference but we can’t rely on it for sure.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

PoppyPup wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Actually that isn't true bellabelly.

Age standardisation compares children born in the same month with each other. So August children are compared with August children and Sept children with Sept children and so on for all months. If August children do badly compared with Sept children in the raw scores then age standardisation ensures that there is no disadvantage. However, if August children did well compared with Sept, then the standardisation would ensure that Sept kids were not disadvantaged.

Thank you Kenyancowgirl, I had read up on the standardisation posts on here and got a rough idea but your explanation is a good one.

I’m trying to disregard the standardisation element as, like you say, it may end up making very little difference to her final score.

Children are so different but with mine, I can see a difference between those now 10 and my 9 yr old. I hope that the standardisation will help reduce that difference but we can’t rely on it for sure.
This subject crops up every year, and funnily enough very often it used to be looked at in reverse, many used to think that the younger children got more help due to the standardisation.
The best thing in my mind is to forget it completely. It's done often enough that it should be quite well refined by now, and even if it isn't there is nothing you can do about it..

The journey will have enough ups and downs without this issue.
SD.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi Mrs Mck,

It is a nervous time. I think all we can do is help our kids to do the best that they can and support them. Whatever the outcome, its knowledge that they will carry forward with them.

Thankfully this forum looks like a great place where we can help and get help.

No tips from me sorry as this is our first time round.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

MrsMck wrote:Hi, my daughter will also be sitting the 11plus this September. I am so nervous! She is a July born. Does anybody have any tips? :)
Welcome new members. Come September you will be experts :)

Some tips?
- Be realistic of your chances
- Never make Grammar Schools out to be the 'best' - there are some good Comprehensives out there and you might end up in one
- Relax and don't transfer any nerves or stress to your son/daughter
- Make it fun and don't do anything late at night
- Be honest with yourself - are you capable (money/time/skills/knowledge) to DIY
- Put a plan together that suits your child and acknowledges the 'pass rate' for the school/area
- Leave exam technique towards the end but make sure you do it
- Don't over do it - different opinions on what constitutes over doing it but my rule of thumb was 1 or 2 hours a week which we doubled shortly before the test
- Don't do any work on foreign holidays - enjoy your week or two in the sun
- Identify any gaps in knowledge/skills that come up and teach them but check you are doing it correctly - BBC Bitesize (KS2) and this forum are great resources
- Stay within the KS2 curriculum
- Reward the effort not the result
- Encourage reading for pleasure - it is the best way to build comprehension skills and stamina
- Talk to the Y5 teacher if you have a problem - they have far more knowledge/skills than we do
- And finally, don't do it if your son/daughter doesn't want to

Good luck!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

RedPanda wrote:
MrsMck wrote:Hi, my daughter will also be sitting the 11plus this September. I am so nervous! She is a July born. Does anybody have any tips? :)
Welcome new members. Come September you will be experts :)

Some tips?
- Be realistic of your chances
- Never make Grammar Schools out to be the 'best' - there are some good Comprehensives out there and you might end up in one
- Relax and don't transfer any nerves or stress to your son/daughter
- Make it fun and don't do anything late at night
- Be honest with yourself - are you capable (money/time/skills/knowledge) to DIY
- Put a plan together that suits your child and acknowledges the 'pass rate' for the school/area
- Leave exam technique towards the end but make sure you do it
- Don't over do it - different opinions on what constitutes over doing it but my rule of thumb was 1 or 2 hours a week which we doubled shortly before the test
- Don't do any work on foreign holidays - enjoy your week or two in the sun
- Identify any gaps in knowledge/skills that come up and teach them but check you are doing it correctly - BBC Bitesize (KS2) and this forum are great resources
- Stay within the KS2 curriculum
- Reward the effort not the result
- Encourage reading for pleasure - it is the best way to build comprehension skills and stamina
- Talk to the Y5 teacher if you have a problem - they have far more knowledge/skills than we do
- And finally, don't do it if your son/daughter doesn't want to

Good luck!
Hi MrsMck. Great advice above. If you let us know which area you live in you will get some area-specific advice as well I'm sure.
MrsMck

Post by MrsMck »

She will be sitting the entrance exam for Loreto, Trafford. How about you Poppypup? She has had a tutor since she started year 4 as her year 4 teacher advised us to do it. I have booked 2 mock tests. She doesn't seem fazed by anything, it's me that's stressing, although she has no idea!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Best prep is the GL assessment papers. Best prep for doing those is practise and pass series. Amazon sells it as does this website. It is written by a Trafford tutor.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

We’re in the Midlands so will sitting the CEM exam.

Daughter started with a tutor at the beginning of Yr5 but it’s for 1 hr a week only so I’m filling in any gaps (where I can). Using CGP books, other free online resources and lots of reading. Luckily we do have a good tutor.

It’s difficuit as being an August born she is doing well at school but whether it’s well enough I don’t know.Shes top set for English and teachers say looks like she willl achieve greater depth. Maths, she’s 2nd top table but is the only child in her class that is asked to do the top table extension papers. What this translates in relation to the 11plus though I’m not sure.

I have told her that outcome will be what it will be and not to worry but as so many in her class are sitting the exam she wants to do well.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

PoppyPup wrote:I have told her that outcome will be what it will be and not to worry but as so many in her class are sitting the exam she wants to do well.
Perfect :)

Age (July/August) shouldn't be a disadvantage due to the age standardisation. In some ways the 11+ is a fairer test than SATs.