Saying hello

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PoppyPup

Saying hello

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi,

I’ve just registered and wanted to say hello. My DD will be sitting the 11plus this September. I’ve lurked for a few weeks, reading your very useful comments and thought it was time I introduced myself.

My dd will be sitting the 11plus this September. She is an end of Aug child so I feel we may well have a hard slog in front of us. She is keen on sitting the 11plus, we’ve visited some schools and as most her friends are sitting it she is well aware of what it’s about.

I’m hoping I will find some sucker here when needed. This is our first experience of the 11plus and will most def need some support, help and advice.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Saying hello

Post by kenyancowgirl »

* I think you mean succour, not sucker....although some of us old hands may feel a bit like suckers some of the time.... :lol: :lol:
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

:D Support, I presume? Nevertheless, welcome to the site and you will find all sorts here, suckers included 8)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome :) Have you found the area sections? Each 11+ area has its own test so you need to head there for help.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

kenyancowgirl wrote:* I think you mean succour, not sucker....although some of us old hands may feel a bit like suckers some of the time.... :lol: :lol:
Lol, yes, I meant succour. Well, it’s a humorous opening anyway !

I will double check from now on but I dare say there will be more mistakes to come.
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

Hi PoppyPup - depending which area you're in, the scores might be adjusted for age. My twins are August-born too and here in Kent, they adjust (standardise) the scores to allow for the age gap between those born earlier in the school year and those that are younger.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Actually that isn't true bellabelly.

Age standardisation compares children born in the same month with each other. So August children are compared with August children and Sept children with Sept children and so on for all months. If August children do badly compared with Sept children in the raw scores then age standardisation ensures that there is no disadvantage. However, if August children did well compared with Sept, then the standardisation would ensure that Sept kids were not disadvantaged.
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

I stand corrected!
MrsMck

Post by MrsMck »

Hi, my daughter too is sitting the exam this September, I am so nervous! She is a July born. Does anyone have any tips? :)
MrsMck

Post by MrsMck »

My daughter is also sitting the 11plus this September, I am so nervous! She is a July born. Does anybody have any tips? :)