Suddenly all very real...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum-of-two

Suddenly all very real...

Post by mum-of-two »

Registered my DS for the 11+ today. Other grammar opens registration next week. Even though he has had tutoring since Oct, that simple act of registration has made it seem all the more real.

We are as prepared as we can be at this stage, he's doing well and early indications are he is working at a level for a pass - there is no catchment so its just on how well they do in the exam. We are planning visits to the schools open evenings in June so he can make a decision as to his preference (I liked both - one walking distance and the other has a school bus that has a stop at the end of our road (30 min journey)). I have a mock exam booked in July and he has a revision week and further mock in Aug so it's just keeping up this level of work until the exams.

He is keeping up with his out of school clubs and hobbies to keep things as normal as possible for him. We are off to the Hay festival in May so there are a couple of writing workshops and talks thrown in with other activities! September is approaching all too quickly!
mum-of-two
StowMum

Re: Suddenly all very real...

Post by StowMum »

I totally agree! Up until now we have happily (most of the time) been plugging away at the 11+ prep. The registration opens in the next few weeks for us and the actual exams are only 5 months away! We have also opted for a mock exam for DS and am keeping his life as normal as possible with playdates and after school activities.

By not making the 11+ the main focus on DS life, I find that my life has now totally be taken over by 11+ prep. I go to work and spend the lunch hour searching for interesting and exciting ways to help DS with areas he finds difficult. I get home and sit with him on sample papers or spend the next day marking a paper! I cannot believe how it has taken over my life! Is this normal?

StowMum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now