Quick test book recommendations

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum-of-two

Quick test book recommendations

Post by mum-of-two »

Hi all you lovely experienced 11 plus parents. I'm looking for some recommendations for some quick test books for my son.

I noticed after the Easter holidays, when we did zero homework, tutoring, etc that his brain had really switched off and it took a while to get him back into the swing of things. Therefore I am planning on getting some quick test books for him to use at home in the holidays to just keep him ticking over. Nothing too onerous, 10-15 mins per day of hols.

I thought the Schofield and Sims Rapid Tests looked a good book but I was unsure as to whether to go for the year 6 book (age 10-11) or year 6-7 (age 11-12). Obviously I dont want to go too high and demotivate him but similarly I need to stretch him.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated from those of you who have been here before.

FYI - he is year 5 now (will be 10 next month), sitting exams in Sept.

TIA, mum-of-two
mum-of-two
yoyo123

Re: Quick test book recommendations

Post by yoyo123 »

What region are you in? The schools section above (grey bar) has information about each region’s test. The shop also gives recommendations for material suited to each region. I can move your post to the appropriate area section if you let me know. That way you will probably get more answers from people with local knowledge. Different areas have different tests.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Hi

I'm based in Yorkshire - GL tests. Yorkshire is so quiet though so don't ever expect a response from that forum.

The schofield and Sims books say suitable for all tests - not sure how accurate that can be though. I just want something to work on his speed and accuracy rather than it being a learning tool.

Mum-of-two
mum-of-two
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I really notice that if students do nothing for a long period of time they do start to go backwards.

When revising VR a few years ago we got to 100 questions in 22 minutes but this was soon lost after a few weeks. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now