BBC2 11+ documentary

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: BBC2 11+ documentary

Post by Amber »

HamptonDad wrote:
I am familiar with Edward Said's work on orientalism and i also agree about exercising caution with the deductions we make from the show. The point i am however making above is that my day to day experience means that some parts of the show resonate with me more than others. Just because this isn't the case with everyone doesn't make my take-away any more or less valid
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I found your comment genuinely interesting and thought-provoking and it resonated with me and made me think of Said. My later comment was to make it clear that I hadn't seen the show and was unable to offer an opinion on whether it was racist or not; and to caution against assuming a TV programme is showing anything other than a carefully constructed version of 'reality'. It was not aimed at you at all.
HamptonDad

Re: BBC2 11+ documentary

Post by HamptonDad »

Amber wrote:
HamptonDad wrote:
I am familiar with Edward Said's work on orientalism and i also agree about exercising caution with the deductions we make from the show. The point i am however making above is that my day to day experience means that some parts of the show resonate with me more than others. Just because this isn't the case with everyone doesn't make my take-away any more or less valid
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I found your comment genuinely interesting and thought-provoking and it resonated with me and made me think of Said. My later comment was to make it clear that I hadn't seen the show and was unable to offer an opinion on whether it was racist or not; and to caution against assuming a TV programme is showing anything other than a carefully constructed version of 'reality'. It was not aimed at you at all.
Sorry, I think i wasn't clear. You're text above was exactly how i understood it and was well received. my additional comment was referring to the earlier back and forth with other posters. Apologies if i sounded as though I was 'coming for you'