BBC2 11+ documentary

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Surferfish

Re: BBC2 11+ documentary

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:Makes for good sport, easy telly, polarises opinion, is reductive in the sense that it kills any nuanced debate, but leaves [most of] the audience with a feeling that they have understood an important truth.
Are we still talking about the Grammar School documentary or have you secretly been watching 'Love Island' Amber? :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surferfish wrote: Are we still talking about the Grammar School documentary or have you secretly been watching 'Love Island' Amber? :wink:
Watching it?

I am taking part in it, Surferfish. 8)
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

For real, or are you just mugging me off?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surferfish wrote:For real, or are you just mugging me off?
Dead serious, yes. Can you spot which one I am? I can only come onto the forum when I am not copping off with some fit 20-something. It's a hard life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44286454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's annoying - they've cut you out of the photo on the far right - can only see a tress of long blond hair.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Can't see one with amber red hair, but maybe you died it to remain incognito?

Are you the one who didn't know the meaning of the word "superficial"?
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: I'm sure we're getting to the roots of it now
Amber

Post by Amber »

You've lost me.
This thread has turned into 4 things I have never done:
  • Watched the documentary on grammar schools (OH recorded it thinking I would want to, but I deleted it as I don't)
    Heard of 'Love Island' (had to google it. I don't think I shall bother)
    Had red hair (though for some reason my user name has led people to think that. Perhaps I should be Chocolate, or Nut, or Sienna instead)
    Dyed my hair
I assume there is a part 3 to this programme so you can discuss that instead of whether I am a superficial dyed blonde redhead in a bikini!
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

in episode 2, i felt sorry for the girl in the non-grammar school who was expelled. she was a high achiever but was misunderstood i think. for example, she was having a conversation with a year head,alas not productive. but then another teacher barged in and told her off and sent her home. i think the second teacher had the attitude problem, not her. then she was threatened to be expelled again... there was a hidden agenda here i think. the student was already traumatised by missing 2 weeks of schooling! i remember teachers like these when i was at school.
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

food4thought wrote:in episode 2, i felt sorry for the girl in the non-grammar school who was expelled. she was a high achiever but was misunderstood i think. for example, she was having a conversation with a year head,alas not productive. but then another teacher barged in and told her off and sent her home. i think the second teacher had the attitude problem, not her. then she was threatened to be expelled again... there was a hidden agenda here i think. the student was already traumatised by missing 2 weeks of schooling! i remember teachers like these when i was at school.
Watching the programme with other adult members of my family;wife and mother. We all couldn't help having the same feeling that there was an element of racial stereotyping going on there.
Why when the initial head was getting through to Chichi did the other teacher butt in so aggressively? It just appeared that she thought she 'had an attitude'. I found the whole incident rather disturbing.
We also had teachers like that at my grammar back in the day. In those days they were quite happy to pick on me and other BME boys,using all kinds of racial epithets...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now