Summer revision intensive courses - worth it?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Exams2018

Summer revision intensive courses - worth it?

Post by Exams2018 »

Hi,
Please can anyone here tell me more about 11plus summer intensive courses?
We’ve been DIYing - do you think DD will benefit from attending one?

Thanks
anotherdad

Re: Summer revision intensive courses - worth it?

Post by anotherdad »

What do you think?

That comes across as a glib remark, but what do you think a course will do that you haven't or won't be able to cover at home? How is DIY preparation going? Ultimately I don't think anyone is going to be as well informed as you as to whether your daughter will benefit from a course. Personally, I dislike the "intensive" bit. Short, regular practice sessions would be my preference and if you can continue that at home, all the better. I'm not convinced that "intensive" courses compressed over a short period of time do much for a ten year old's ability, let alone their well-being.

I don't know which area you are from but be very careful when looking for courses. In my area (Bucks) there seem to be a number of tuition companies that have sprung up recently, all making wonderful promises but some of which don't demonstrate a complete understanding of the 11+ process on their own websites! I wouldn't trust them.
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

anotherdad wrote:What do you think?

That comes across as a glib remark, but what do you think a course will do that you haven't or won't be able to cover at home? How is DIY preparation going? Ultimately I don't think anyone is going to be as well informed as you as to whether your daughter will benefit from a course. Personally, I dislike the "intensive" bit. Short, regular practice sessions would be my preference and if you can continue that at home, all the better. I'm not convinced that "intensive" courses compressed over a short period of time do much for a ten year old's ability, let alone their well-being.

I don't know which area you are from but be very careful when looking for courses. In my area (Bucks) there seem to be a number of tuition companies that have sprung up recently, all making wonderful promises but some of which don't demonstrate a complete understanding of the 11+ process on their own websites! I wouldn't trust them.
Couldn't agree more! I've been asked to tutor children 'intensively,' for the exam but have refused to do it. I'm not convinced it has any benefit for the same reason outlined above i.e. " Well being."
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Thanks both

DIY is going reasonably well. We’ve been consistent, committed and covered a lot of material and test papers. She is struggling with NVR though. Scores are all over the place 65% (CGP) to 90% (AFN).
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

No point in over doing the preparation. Remember the bright children are also practising. :wink:
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

I think it depends how much a handle you have on the test, for me I am struggling to understand it so this sort of course in addition to home papers will hopefully cover any gaps.

I understand the various parts of the papers just I understand which parts of the English side she could do practice on. But the maths side I have absolutely no understanding of at all. Personally if it wont break the bank I would do it. My dd also prefers shorter work all at once than dragging it out bit by bit. Since year 1 she has never been one to do 10 mins a night and has preferred to do her HW in one go and get it out the way. So again its what your dd prefers how she works.

For instance - two years of 11 + tuition and extra HW every week would not have been a good thing for my dd.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

TheHurdle wrote:For instance - two years of 11 + tuition and extra HW every week would not have been a good thing for my dd.
It wouldn't be a good thing for any child.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

anotherdad wrote:
TheHurdle wrote:For instance - two years of 11 + tuition and extra HW every week would not have been a good thing for my dd.
It wouldn't be a good thing for any child.
Its pretty much the norm here in Bromley. One mum I know put her daughter in a prep school (very well known for hot housing) and a tutor from Y4. she got school homework and tutor homework daily.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Exams2018 wrote:Its pretty much the norm here in Bromley. One mum I know put her daughter in a prep school (very well known for hot housing) and a tutor from Y4. she got school homework and tutor homework daily.
And in ten years or so, she'll be the sort of parent I've come across a lot at university open days in the last year: taking notes and asking questions on behalf of her daughter because she still feels the need to control every aspect of her daughter's education.

Will the daughter end up fantastically qualified? Probably. Capable? Perhaps not.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now