100% in English Mock : I am part DIY but weak Maths/NVR

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TheHurdle

100% in English Mock : I am part DIY but weak Maths/NVR

Post by TheHurdle »

what should I do.

I cannot help her in Maths at all. In English I understand the parts like find a word, opposites etc, but I cannot understand different Maths parts needed. We have some books but they all confuse me, I dont know how to break it down even.

I have a ten min test book for her but I guess this wont cover all maths questions?
She is good in Maths but do you think a month of 2 hour sessions a week would help with maths and NVR?
anotherdad

Re: 100% in English Mock : I am part DIY but weak Maths/NVR

Post by anotherdad »

You say you are "part DIY", so does that mean you have a tutor already? Can they not help with the maths elements?

If not, why not learn the maths yourself so you can help your daughter? If she's already good at maths, it sounds like it's the occasional help and ability to check her work that's needed.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How many students were in the English Mock she got 100% in?

Which schools are you preparing for?

Be wary of small cohort mocks that may not represent the cohort you are aiming for.

If Maths is proving tricky for you perhaps you could do a swop with a friend and help their student with the English in return for help in the Maths. DG
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

Part DIY means doing a little here and there ourselves. she has a revision course booked but thats it.

I can absolulty not learn the math myself, my goodness I think I got the worse mark possible in my GCSE marks. Its like a foreign language to me.
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

I cant do anything about the cohort etc.

All I know is her english ability is very strong. Her Maths is v good but I dont know how to help her. would the 10 min maths book cover everything>
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Firstly for maths, mental maths & times tables needs to be good & secure - practice these alongside.

CGP do some good study guides for both maths & verbal reasoning designed for children to work through that have answers. I think I'd start there - that would help ensure she has the breadth of knowledge. It would also help identify if there were areas where she needed extra help.

If you had specific topics - could she ask one of her teachers or would a friend or another member of the family be able to help?

Then work on timing - doing timed tests & then some practice papers.

Don't forget exam technique - 11+ is time pressured - encourage to move on if she can't do it and get marks where she can.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Maths:
I recommend you start with Letts KS2 revision guide. Go through every topic and complete the exercises from Letts KS2 practice workbook. Go over weak areas to understand concepts clearly. There are plenty of videos online too. I recommend Khan academy ones.

Next go through first aid Maths book systematically. Go over weak areas.

Then use Peter Robson books to practice - particularly weak areas

NVR: My DD was weak in NVR. She is better now. What helped us was a LOT of practice. We did the “How to do NVR” book together and went back to 9-10 ten min tests and assessment papers. For each paper, we went over the mistakes and marked them. Once these were done, I had a pretty good idea of her weak areas. We did then again (only weak areas). Then moved to 10-11 books and repeat.

Hope this helps you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Exams2018 wrote:There are plenty of videos online too. I recommend Khan academy ones.
Please avoid Khan Academy - it's been discussed many times - it's American and has terminology and method differences which will cause errors.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now