Exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Exams

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

The point is that you stop reading the question or thinking about the question, you just need to mark an answer and move on. So you make the decision before you go in that you will use C. Does not have to be C but choose a letter and then you can quickly mark an answer without wasting time and if you are still deciding which one to mark you are wasting time.

Once you have an answer for every question you can go back and start reading the questions and change them if you need to.

There are many different strategies and different points of view on this. The whole point of the forum is that parents ask for advice and those who ask for advice are able to decide what works for their students from various suggestions made.

Suggested strategies need to be rehearsed before the exam. No student should be going into their exam and trying out a new strategy in the real thing. But this is a strategy that has brought excellent results in both Sutton Mock A and Mock B in a cohort of over 1300 students and also in a wide variety of exams.

It is certainly worth a try to see if it works for your student. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

moominmomma wrote:why is this very poor advice? I think DG tip of marking C for each question once the time warning goes off is an excellent idea and I will pass this tip onto my child.
If you have to choose a letter then its actually quicker to mark (a). It was the overall advice too ...

DG is not qualified to teach and has her 'box of tutor tricks' - these may work for some students but certainly not all. Parents can judge much better what is working.
moominmomma

Post by moominmomma »

Why is it quicker to mark A ?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I suspect because it is always first in the list.....

:lol: :lol:
moominmomma

Post by moominmomma »

hmm so it is 'very poor advice' based on the nano seconds saved by selecting option A instead of option C ? you lot make me laugh :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

moominmomma wrote:hmm so it is 'very poor advice' based on the nano seconds saved by selecting option A instead of option C ? you lot make me laugh :lol:
That was just part of the 'advice' DG posted. She has never confirmed whether she has any qualifications to teach; many of us on here do. If students don't succeed teachers don't get a pay rise .

Those part seconds do add up.
moominmomma

Post by moominmomma »

ok clearly I have stepped into some personal politics going on between members and this is about more than just selecting A over C. I will keep my nose out of this and make a sharp exit! :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I suggest B. :wink:

I’m a highly qualified teacher btw. 8)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Amber wrote:I suggest B. :wink:

I’m a highly qualified teacher btw. 8)
:lol:

A good point - B might 'b' better.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

moominmomma wrote:ok clearly I have stepped into some personal politics going on between members and this is about more than just selecting A over C. I will keep my nose out of this and make a sharp exit! :shock:
You’ll find this happens a lot with these group members, unfortunately some of them think they’re always right and nobody else is allowed a different opinion. Just ignore it, they’ve got their own agenda which isn’t really appropriate on this forum and to be honest I’m not sure why it’s allowed. But hey ho, keep doing what you feel best for your child.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now