Guide a mum please!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belirf

Guide a mum please!

Post by Belirf »

My daughter is currently end of year 4. Soon to be year 5. We live in Waltham Forest so no local Grammar Schools. I’d like her to attempt getting into Woodford County High or Latymer.

I’m baffled by the 11+ exam system (I grew up abroad, so no personal experience of it). My daughter (born in the UK) is a bright girl and is doing well at school. I’ve tried doing some home studying with her with help from websites and books but I’ve come to the conclusion that if we’re going to do this both of us need help from someone with experience and knowledge of this thing. While, I don’t want to put too much pressure on her, I do want her give it a shot.

Are there any tutors (preferably around East London) you lovely well informed people can recommend? I’d rather she attend a group than have individual tutoring. She does well among peers. Are there any summer intensive classes around. Is that even a thing? Any other tips?

Google is a minefield of information. — looking for recommendations.
Daogroupie

Re: Guide a mum please!

Post by Daogroupie »

There are lots of parents who have not experienced the 11 plus but the important thing is to understand the exam format of the schools you are interested in.

WC is CEM and Latymer is VR, Maths and English.

There is a CEM section on here you can browse through but basically CEM is short timed sections so speed is a key feature.

Do you have a preference between the two? It would be easier to focus on one. DG