Juggling work and child’s 11+ preparation as a single parent

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ceetee87

Juggling work and child’s 11+ preparation as a single parent

Post by ceetee87 »

Can anyone offer some advice on how to juggle Fulltime work and helping your child prepare for the 11+.
We are currently using Bond books however I don’t feel as though we are doing enough, I have tried creating time tables. I’m finding it difficult to fit the work in and I am starting to feel guilty.

Thank you .
ilelo

Re: Juggling work and child’s 11+ preparation as a single pa

Post by ilelo »

Have you considered working with your child in the morning before school/work. It might mean going to bed earlier and waking earlier, if you can fit anything in the morning.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Morning is a very good time and also try going out for lunch somewhere you can sit outside and go through papers.

Which exams is your dc sitting?

CEM is very easy to do in little chunks. DG
StowMum

Post by StowMum »

The mornings work for me.

DS manages a short test before school or on our walk (20 mins) to school we go over antonyms/synonyms.

On some days he manages a longer test whilst I am cooking in the evening which we then go over the next day.

Its the quality of the work you do with him that counts not just the quantity. My DS gets bored and tunes out if we do too much prep in 1 week.

StowMum
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

We broke our 11+ prep into sessions - one midweek evening for about an hour, saturday am for about 1h 30 minutes and then a couple bits of synonyms & antoymns / times tables / mental maths on a couple of other days.

Saturday am was the best session as we were both fresh and not pressured by time and gave us enough time to do a timed practice test.

Times tables / vocabulary work fitted whenever - on the way to school / in the car

You both need a downtime day otherwise it will just become a burden or an issue.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now