Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:29 pm 

Dear all,
I'm new to this forum. We are living in Wembley currently & looking for a good school for DD who is going to year 5. She is doing good at current school. I thought 11+ exam could be a her ticket to better school but I have very limited knowledge on the whole process. I have read information on this website & gone through some forum discussions. However I have no clear understand what schools we can select from where we live now. I would be really thankful if someone could advice what schools we should apply.
thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:49 pm 

Which school is your catchment secondary? It's often best to choose a good local school.

Try looking here: https://www.compare-school-performance. ... in-england just put in your area

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:30 pm 

If you have a look at the Brent Council website, it gives you details of the schools in your area. I've just had a quick look, and I don't think there are any grammar schools in Brent, so you would need to look further afield to other boroughs - check the admissions criteria for each school, check whether you can physically get your child to school, and then decide whether you want to go down the grammar school route, or choose one of the local schools in your borough.

The council website is your starting point - the schools in Brent have their open days in September and October, so it might be worth viewing a few schools, so that you can see what they are like, what their ethos is, and their admissions criteria etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:44 pm 

I suggest you get in touch with some parents in the year above and ask them for some advice.

You can also talk to her teacher about where other students from your school go to secondary school.

You are able to apply for HBS but many thousands apply and 91% do not pass the first round so it will be a long haul and your preparation will need to start early.

DG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 pm 

Daogroupie wrote:
You are able to apply for HBS but many thousands apply
DG

...two... thousand one hundred and sixty applicants in 2017, according to Barnet on page 48:
https://www.barnet.gov.uk/dam/jcr:0b05d ... e_Educ.pdf

...for 104 places in 2017, according to Barnet on page 22 of this:

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:31 pm 

The OP asked about good schools not Grammars ....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:44 pm 

Stroller wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:
You are able to apply for HBS but many thousands apply
DG

...two... thousand one hundred and sixty applicants in 2017, according to Barnet on page 48:

...for 104 places in 2017, according to Barnet on page 22 of this:

On page 49 of the same pdf, the school wrote the following:

Quote:
The results of the Round One test will be standardised and placed in rank order. On the basis of this rank order, the top 300 candidates will be invited back to sit the second round of tests. The second round tests are in English and Mathematics and will take place at the School on one session in early October 2017. Candidates will only be able to take the Test once and will be tested on literacy and numeracy appropriate to Key Stage 2.

How can 300 girls getting to the second round from 2,160 be represented accurately as “91%” of “many thousands” “do not pass the first round”? [Hint: It’s nonsense].

Daogroupie, if you believe your numbers are correct, cite your source. If you made them up - again - please read the linked information. HBS is a reputable school. Your persistent inaccuracy and exaggeration about the school is unwarranted and misleading.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:49 pm 

Stroller - DG is a tutor, hence the 'hyperbole' about school entrance data.