Bucks vs. Reading

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reading Mum

Re: Bucks vs. Reading

Post by Reading Mum »

I didn't say their preferred school.
Are you saying that there are Bucks people who got 121 or more but have not been offered a GS place anywhere at all?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Reading Mum wrote:I didn't say their preferred school.
Are you saying that there are Bucks people who got 121 or more but have not been offered a GS place anywhere at all?
There were some Bucks-resident boys in a small pocket of SW Bucks who named several grammars on their CAF but didn't get any of them. I believe that all the cases have been sorted out via appeals.

Had they named an alternative mixed Bucks GS that was also within reach they would have received a place in the first round, but they were holding out for a single-sex school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you live outside Bucks you may not get ANY Bucks Grammar as you could be too far from any of them. Qualification is not an automatic right to a place.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Guest55 wrote:
If you live outside Bucks you may not get ANY Bucks Grammar as you could be too far from any of them. Qualification is not an automatic right to a place.
I was only talking about Bucks people in my question. Surely it is the case that if you live in Bucks county and get 121 then you get a GS place - it might not be the one you want based on location or single sex/ mixed preference but you will get a GS place somewhere.

If out of county then you may or may not get a place depending on your distance from the schools you named on CAF.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Reading Mum wrote:Surely it is the case that if you live in Bucks county and get 121 then you get a GS place - it might not be the one you want based on location or single sex/ mixed preference but you will get a GS place somewhere.
There is no absolute guarantee of a place, regardless of preferences, but with a quarter or so of places being taken by OoC children, it is extremely unlikely that qualified Bucks children would not gain a GS place.

With the amount of new housing proposed/being built, that situation may not be the same in 5+ years though.
mumili

Post by mumili »

Is the Reading test all multiple-choice, or do they ask questions for which the student needs to show their work?

I am guessing the new Bucks test will be all multiple choice as they've switched to GL, no?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now