Bucks vs. Reading

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumili

Bucks vs. Reading

Post by mumili »

Is it more difficult to pass the threshold in the Reading test (Reading School in mind) or the Buckinghamshire test?

I know it's a somewhat speculative question, but still...

Thanks in advance.
Tinkers

Re: Bucks vs. Reading

Post by Tinkers »

Be aware of the catchment requirement for Reading School (no day places have been allocated to boys ooc for many years) and the allocation distances for the Bucks schools.

I don’t think there can be many places that are in a position where they can consider both Reading and Bucks. So unless you live in one of those places, it’s probably best to only consider one anyway.

They are also now different tests (Reading is CEM, Bucks will be a new GL test that no one has experience of).

As for difficulty getting a place, the Bucks system is designed to give places to the to ~30% of practically all Bucks children. I have posted about Reading school historic allocations and that’s a sticky at the top of the Berks section.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’ve just realised you’re the poster who was currently in Wales and looking to move.

Therefore other things to bear in mind.
You’ll need to move into the catchment area before the test for Reading and, I think, shortly after the test for Bucks for most schools (one Bucks School has a stricter time frame and you need to be in earlier, but I’m not from Bucks so others will give you better info).

Look at other schools in the area, you’ll need to make sure you are happy with alternative schools if your DC doesn’t get a place. Bear in mind that Bucks is a fully selective county so the alternatives to Grammars may not be great depending on the area you are looking at. Again others form Bucks will give you a better picture.
mumili

Post by mumili »

Yep, that's me :)
Thanks for the information -- really appreciate it.
The Reading admission data is quite informative. Looking at the results for 2018 entry:
* 737 sat at Reading, 238 sat elsewhere, 975 in total
* 317 qualified * 195 qualified and in catchment

So, 317/975 -- or about 32% -- of the entrants passed the threshold. This is quite similar to the 30% bracket in Bucks.
Looks like both tests are equally difficult. I was under the impression that Reading School was more difficult to get into than, say Aylesbury Grammar. Huh...

Tinkers wrote:I’ve just realised you’re the poster who was currently in Wales and looking to move.

Therefore other things to bear in mind.
You’ll need to move into the catchment area before the test for Reading and, I think, shortly after the test for Bucks for most schools (one Bucks School has a stricter time frame and you need to be in earlier, but I’m not from Bucks so others will give you better info).

Look at other schools in the area, you’ll need to make sure you are happy with alternative schools if your DC doesn’t get a place. Bear in mind that Bucks is a fully selective county so the alternatives to Grammars may not be great depending on the area you are looking at. Again others form Bucks will give you a better picture.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes but in Bucks, practically all primary school (of all abilities) children take the test.

This is not the case for Reading, where only those who apply will take the test.
mumili

Post by mumili »

Tinkers wrote:Yes but in Bucks, practically all primary school (of all abilities) children take the test.

This is not the case for Reading, where only those who apply will take the test.
I see. In Reading only the better prepared will self-select themselves to take test, so you're up against a tougher competition. That's an important difference.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

mumili wrote:Yep, that's me :)
Thanks for the information -- really appreciate it.
The Reading admission data is quite informative. Looking at the results for 2018 entry:
* 737 sat at Reading, 238 sat elsewhere, 975 in total
* 317 qualified * 195 qualified and in catchment

So, 317/975 -- or about 32% -- of the entrants passed the threshold. This is quite similar to the 30% bracket in Bucks.
Looks like both tests are equally difficult. I was under the impression that Reading School was more difficult to get into than, say Aylesbury Grammar. Huh...
If you think about passing the threshold then maybe they are similar but there is an important difference.
In Bucks, if you get the qualifying score then you get a GS place somewhere.
Reading only takes 150 boys so not all of those who qualified and are in catchment will get a place.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If you think about passing the threshold then maybe they are similar but there is an important difference.
In Bucks, if you get the qualifying score then you get a GS place somewhere.
Reading only takes 150 boys so not all of those who qualified and are in catchment will get a place.
RM is correct and the information about the pass mark and the actual lowest score to get a place is also on the historic data thread.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mumili wrote:
Tinkers wrote:Yes but in Bucks, practically all primary school (of all abilities) children take the test.
I see. In Reading only the better prepared will self-select thmselves to take test, so you're up against a tougher competition. That's an important difference.
No, not the better prepared, but those for whom the school is the most suitable option. Plus, sadly, the over prepared, deluded, vaguely aspirant and slightly mad from all over the place on the off chance of a boarding offer. But yes, this madness makes the competition tougher.
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Reading Mum wrote:In Bucks, if you get the qualifying score then you get a GS place somewhere.
Sorry that is just not correct - you need to be near enough to get a place - some Bucks residents are still waiting for their preferred GS - please don't mislead people.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now