School Trip before exams - what to do?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PettswoodFiona

Re: School Trip before exams - what to do?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD didn’t do any 11+ practice once she was back at school. She also had musical auditions in the evenings in the run up to the exams. She got a stinking cold for one of the tests that still hung about for the second (Kent, then Bexley) and went into school for the half day of one of the tests as that worked best for her but many others keep their DCs at home.

Yes DD did have more than one test as where we are there are multiple grammar schools so it wasn’t a case of all eggs in one test basket. She did splendidly despite doing other things, having a cold, having clubs, auditions etc. Life goes on. I also had to show her some trust in her knowing her limitations and tolerances (with odd parental nudge at times). I think she’d have cracked if the only focus had been the tests and having perfect conditions for those tests, but that is our DD and you know your DS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OP, what will you do in the lead up to other exams? My DS played cricket the evening before several music exams and life was never put on hold for GCSE, A level or uni.

If he does not go it puts MORE pressure on the exam - is that sensible?
ojmum

Post by ojmum »

Thank you to everyone for replying, some great points have been brought up, especially about piling on the pressure.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

When I say music exams I do mean practical exams ... so any finger injury in the game [he was an all rounder] would have been an issue but you can't wrap them in cotton wool 'just in case'.
scooby doo

Post by scooby doo »

This was our situation last year.
Our local boys and girls grammars are both super selective.
And, unlike many other exams, there are no resits for the 11+.
In my DD's class there were several very able children taking the 11+.
We made the decision that our DD would not go on the residential trip. All of the other children went on the trip.
She obtained a place and those who went on the trip didn't.
She is very happy and has no regrets about missing the trip, and she has been on several other trips since.
Next year, the the residential trip will be after the 11+.

It's your choice and your decision and your child. You know them best of all.

Best wishes
SD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:shock: :shock: As a wise poster once said...anecdote does not data make.....!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kenyancowgirl wrote::shock: :shock: As a wise poster once said...anecdote does not data make.....!
I think you're being harsh. The sample size quoted here is "several", which makes it statistically valid.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

tomum wrote:Don't let him go to the school trip pleaseee.

this is once in a lifetime chance and don't spoile it. do you think England football coach let his team to have night out 3 days before a game no chance unless he is Sven-Göran Eriksson.

don't listen anyone that advice to go, they don't do it for their child, those who did and will do are failed and will fail.

hope piggy didn't read this post otherwise I will get a kick for my grammar and English
Two years ago my son went on a Scout camp from Saturday lunchtime (immediately after the SGS second stage test) to Sunday teatime and came back completely exhausted. He then sat the Wilsons second stage test on the Monday morning, which he passed. I agree anecdotes aren't data but maybe they can give you confidence to know that it is possible to go on a trip immediately before an exam and not fail it.

Three days is a long time - I would be surprised if a child is still feeling physical tiredness from a trip after three days, even if it was busy and not much sleep was had. If the trip is likely to cause such emotional distress or disruption that it will affect the OP's performance in an exam three days later, I would be having second thoughts about sending him in any case, regardless of the exam.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

scooby doo wrote:And, unlike many other exams, there are no resits for the 11+.
Yes, there are resits but ALL grades have to be declared and some unis will not accept resits ... and your sample size was?
scooby doo

Post by scooby doo »

Oops I forgot.
'Don't feed the trolls'.

SD