Confidence

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trimission

Confidence

Post by trimission »

Hi

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked many times and responded to, but would appreciate some guidance from the forum. In a nutshell, DS has been on track throughout the months leading up to the exams (Berks) but with a few days to go, he's starting to panic and it's impacting his work. Whereas he would be getting 85%+ in his practice papers, he just about manages 70%.

I've tried days off, pep-talks, giving him simpler questions - but to no avail. The issue seems to be that he's rushing the paper, so either not reading the question properly, or losing accuracy (in Maths).

If there are any tips for what to do in the last 7 days to calm him down and get him to re-focus, I would really appreciate these.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Confidence

Post by Daogroupie »

Have you tried sitting with him and doing a copy of the paper at the same time and doing it really slowly and encouraging him to slow down.

If he see you doing it slowly hopefully that will make him do the same. DG
trimission

Post by trimission »

Thanks for the suggestion Daogroupie. Although I've done this for individual questions to go through his thought process, I hadn't considered doing an entire paper with him.

I suppose I have homework for tonight!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Perhaps he is bored with doing what he thinks of as the "same old" stuff and is just rushing to get it done so he can get on with doing something he likes.

Are you able to "bribe" him? In the nicest possible way of course :lol: I do remember bribing one of my ds with half an hour on the wii (it was a long time ago when wii's were the in thing) in return for a properly tried paper.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
trimission

Post by trimission »

Thanks Doodles, I don’t think it’s boredom, as he is also trying to turn things round. I’ve done one paper with him to slow him down, and have given him an easier paper to practice alone...so far so good!

Thanks for your help.