Why did you put dc in for 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Why did you put dc in for 11+

Post by Amber »

Because we couldn't afford Eton and wanted our sons to have a leg-up by mixing with a better class of child.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Same as G55. We are opt out and always (in my memory) have been in Bucks - I remember the horror when in the 70's one of our cohort decided not to sit the test, though at the same time we were not surprised as that DC spent most of their days in the HT office. It was never a big deal, just a test to decide what school you moved up to. How things have changed :(
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Not sure this is the right thread, but I think it is relevant. Of all the lovely primary children I volunteered with, all the ones that went to our local secondary just seem "hardened". That sounds wrong but when I see all the kids that I knew waiting at bus stops you can see a change and it is heartbreaking.
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Because we can't afford to buy or rent a house in the catchment of the outstanding Comp. And because the other comps near us are all double digit negative progress 8 scores. And having 1st hand knowledge of a teacher (lodger teacher who lives with us) who admits mixed ability classes do not work for her and that she cannot cope with the workload as it is nevermind the differentiation required to serve the 2 years ability gap range in her class of 30. Oh and the fact that 70% of her time is dealing with low level disruption as well as hours of her own time chasing the one child's parents who doesn't want to go to school to go to school. This is a teacher who is 3 years into the teaching profession of a Science shortage subject at an Ofsted GOOD school and who is about to quit to move into the private sector.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:Because we couldn't afford Eton and wanted our sons to have a leg-up by mixing with a better class of child.
Naughty Amber ... :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Amber wrote:Because we couldn't afford Eton and wanted our sons to have a leg-up by mixing with a better class of child.
Didn't you find Eton has got rather rough these days? :lol:
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

Simply, because DD is very able, and we live virtually next door to one of two girls' grammar schools in our borough.

We haven't decided yet whether we will go through it with our two younger boys. DS1 wants to try, but is only in year 4 so no firm decision until later in the school year.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

In the days before kids, I never thought I would enter any future children for the 11 plus. I grew up in a grammar area and never sat the test. But becoming a parent changes one’s perspective on so many things. Our DD is in an outstanding primary, she’s a bright girl. When looking around at schools in year 5, the one she liked the best happened to be a grammar school. So here we are. First timers anxiously awaiting the results next month.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The grammar is our closest geographic secondary school, DD wanted all girls, it seemed a good fit for DD. The alternative was several buses away and just not the best fit. This particular school she chose (regardless of being a grammar) also had a full complement of maths and science teachers which some schools we looked at didn’t. DD also happens to like tests!
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Our child was top table from early on, despite classroom disruption from the kids destined for the unpopular local secondary. She is now happily settling into her grammar and coping with the work. Every child who failed the Kent Test was allocated to the unpopular local secondary school, but all appealed for other non-grammars further afield. The disruptive kids who didn't take the test are presumably happy with their local school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now