Why did you put dc in for 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
piggys

Re: Why did you put dc in for 11+

Post by piggys »

I put my elder dd into a GS largely because of its curriculum, and because I knew she was very bright; I also did it because - and I don't mean this to sound pompous - I knew with not too much work we could DIY and she'd get in. I would never have attempted it if it had been a hard slog. I'm glad we did because she goes to one of the tiny number of schools/6th form colleges in our borough which offer Latin A level, which she loves.

I did NOT pursue the GS option with my younger dd because in my view she isn't academic enough and, being an experienced teacher and having taught in SS, CS, 6th form colleges and so on, I knew it would be a hard slog to a) get in and b) keep up, and I care enough about her to not want that for her. She now goes to a partially selective school where they take a number of dc on music and dance, which is her thing - she's loving it. She is doing pretty well academically and in the higher sets, and excelling in dance and music.

I realise that as a family we are extremely lucky to have those options available to us.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I think this thread poses an excellent question. Some people try everything to get their dc into any grammar school that will have them and are what has become known as tourists. Most of the time they don't really know much about the schools in question. It's a bit obsessive and weird.

Other people do it for the kudos and so they can namedrop, which is totally stupid IMO. Some people get their dc tutored for years and years and helicopter them dreadfully. Some people think there is a 'better class' of person at a GS - although the real posh knobs (yes, with a 'k') will end up in some hideous bastion of snobbery and white male privilege - like Eton. And who'd want to go there? :lol:
guest201

Post by guest201 »

My two are both very bright they liked the grammar schools and in the case of my DS we live practically next door. They are both single sex schools which we liked too. In areas where there are grammar schools the comprehensives are affected by the existence of grammar schools and there is an expectation that certain children will go to the grammar schools, I am not saying this is right but that is the way it is here.
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

Thank you so much for your replies, it's been really helpful to read your thoughts and reasons.
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

Interesting reading. It's good to get a gist of why others try for a grammar.

For us, we live in Bexley. In a 3mile radius - We are surrounded by 4 grammar schools, a Faith school(which doesn't apply to us) 3 local mixed comprehensive which ofsted have rated a 3 - requiring improvement and finally a girl's school(which is where we'll be hoping for in lieu of results). In a way, i felt I had no option. It frustrates me that there is such a divide in the schooling here. Very little middle ground.

On re-reading my own comment I just want to add, that I don't think my DD would struggle at a grammar. She's always been bright and interested in 'learning', an avid reader. Don't want it to come across as though she's been pushed by me because of the lack of achieving comprehensive schools in the area. :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Onedayonechance wrote:Thank you so much for your replies, it's been really helpful to read your thoughts and reasons.
What are or were your reasons ....?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

So The first one was entered because when we looked round schools it seemed to be the best one for him. It also had the benefit of being the closest. I remember mentioning the test to someone in April and being bombarded with,
“has he been having tutoring?”
Reply, “what do you mean?”
“They need tutoring if they sit the Test”
“Well he hasn’t had any”
“Have you even got a tutor booked?”
“No”

Ah the joys of naivety and ignorance...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

stroudydad wrote:So The first one was entered because when we looked round schools it seemed to be the best one for him. It also had the benefit of being the closest. I remember mentioning the test to someone in April and being bombarded with,
“has he been having tutoring?”
Reply, “what do you mean?”
“They need tutoring if they sit the Test”
“Well he hasn’t had any”
“Have you even got a tutor booked?”
“No”

Ah the joys of naivety and ignorance...
Ours would have taken it as a personal affront (even the one who failed), had we (we definitely wouldn't have) or anyone else suggested that they needed tutoring.

OP, like Guest55, I am interested as to what you wanted to get out of this thread?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Why didn’t you start with your reasons Onedayonechance? Why did you put your child in? I suspect your reasons will be in line with others.
As was I, on page 1.....!!!
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

In-line with other posts. Easy commute, good feedback from current parents and liked best (when visited during the open days) by the kids.

I suspect a post titled 'Why did your DC want to do the 11+' would be much more interesting and controversial. :)