Why did you put dc in for 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bridge

Re: Why did you put dc in for 11+

Post by bridge »

ToadMum wrote:
Ours would have taken it as a personal affront (even the one who failed), had we (we definitely wouldn't have) or anyone else suggested that they needed tutoring.
For the Surrey exams you would be at a great disadvantage if you did not tutor (externally/internally) your children. The exam is based on the whole of KS2 which would not have been covered by the time of the exam - unless your children are at private schools. My daughter's Y5 teacher, who thought we should apply to the local grammars, suggested we use a tutor to cover those bits.
Last edited by bridge on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not required to have a tutor, but it is required to prepare your students and make sure they have covered the material.

This can be done by a tutor but can equally be done by a parent or a family friend. DG
bridge

Post by bridge »

Daogroupie wrote:It is not required to have a tutor, but it is required to prepare your students and make sure they have covered the material.

This can be done by a tutor but can equally be done by a parent or a family friend. DG
Yes, I agree. Edited my post to avoid confusion.
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

Apologies for not replying sooner, I really wanted to see what other peoples replies were as mine are slightly different. In Dorset the local boys Grammar school has been in requires improvement for quite a while, indeed when we first visited it had a grade 3 ofsted. Our local mix ed schools are outstanding. When I looked around it with my eldest it was an easy decision, he did not like the school so did not sit the test. My younger son however has always wanted to sit the exam, the school is now rated as good but no where near the outstanding that my eldest goes to.
Everyone that I have spoken to thinks that Grammar is the best school because it is a Grammar. If the local comp had their ofsted report then people would have been trying to get their dc into a different school.

So that's why I was interested in everyones reasons, IF he passes we will have a difficult decision.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS really wanted to try for the local GSs as he was not keen on the local comps. To one open evening and there was spelling errors in the head teachers presentation to parents alongside using OFSTED data that was 2 visits out of date in an attempt to be better than it was. He also needed a smaller school which could cope with his quirks, which they have. DD didn't care which school she went to and would have flourished in the local comp or the GS but sibling rivalry kicked in and she had to do better than bro so the 11+ had to be sat and passed.
tomum

Post by tomum »

Hats up for OP for raising this question. I liked the moment I read the question but scared to write mine because I may be the odd one and scared I may get negative comment.
I put my dc for 11+ for the following reason.
1) The quality of most other secondary schools near is not good.
2) Believe peer n grammar pressure will make her to work hard, focus and at the end will be successful
3) Though she is not bright now, I believe in myself to help her to succeed mostly in my favorite subject, physics, chemistry, and maths if I get help from the school and her peers of grammer
4) I don’t believe in the brightness of children. I believe in hard work so thought grammar school an ideal place for that.
5) Thought in other secondary schools most lessons disturb by few children
inzell

Post by inzell »

We've been to the open evening of the GS and DD likes it because of:
1) interesting labs - chemistry, physics and my DD loves them
2) a good music department - DD works on Grade 5 violin and plays at orchestra, GS has its own ensembles which DD loves
3) very good performance that local comps can't compete
4) closest school to home
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

tomum wrote:Hats up for OP for raising this question. I liked the moment I read the question but scared to write mine because I may be the odd one and scared I may get negative comment.
I put my dc for 11+ for the following reason.
1) The quality of most other secondary schools near is not good.
2) Believe peer n grammar pressure will make her to work hard, focus and at the end will be successful
3) Though she is not bright now, I believe in myself to help her to succeed mostly in my favorite subject, physics, chemistry, and maths if I get help from the school and her peers of grammer
4) I don’t believe in the brightness of children. I believe in hard work so thought grammar school an ideal place for that.
5) Thought in other secondary schools most lessons disturb by few children
Hi Tomum, can i ask (please feel free to tell me where to jump if you wish) are you from/descendant of a foreign culture? (And if so where). I promise my question is based around interests not insult, but it seems certain cultures places the need to attend a grammar very highly on their list of priorities (from personal experience and the good few hours I’ve spent on here. ) it’s something that interests me as to why.
By the way, I’m certainly a firm believer that success is mostly perspiration based.

Thanks,
Mark.
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Great question Stroudydad/Mark. I think there are lots of Asian tiger parents here. Do you mean aspirations btw? Not perspiration?!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

inzell wrote: ...very good performance that local comps can't compete
What are you comparing though? Of course overall a GS will 'look' better but you need to drill down and see how well the brighter children at the comp do and how much progress they make. Otherwise you are comparing apples with pears ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now