Why did you put dc in for 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AdamV

Re: Why did you put dc in for 11+

Post by AdamV »

Hope4Ken wrote:Do you mean aspirations btw? Not perspiration?!
I assumed Mark was paraphrasing Thomas Edison "Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety nine percent perspiration". I agree that hard work is hugely important for success at anything, school included.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

AdamV wrote:
Hope4Ken wrote:Do you mean aspirations btw? Not perspiration?!
I assumed Mark was paraphrasing Thomas Edison "Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety nine percent perspiration". I agree that hard work is hugely important for success at anything, school included.
Or perhaps Willy Wonka..
“ Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.”
sweetnhappy1

Post by sweetnhappy1 »

Hope4Ken wrote:Great question Stroudydad/Mark. I think there are lots of Asian tiger parents here. Do you mean aspirations btw? Not perspiration?!
Can non-Asians be tiger parents?
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

sweetnhappy1 wrote:
Hope4Ken wrote:Great question Stroudydad/Mark. I think there are lots of Asian tiger parents here. Do you mean aspirations btw? Not perspiration?!
Can non-Asians be tiger parents?
Are we allowed to talk about grammar school demographics, particularly near London. The Medway out of area test centre was overwhelmingly inner London kids whose parents were (I presume) recent immigrants to this country. There was a small number of local kids from just over the KCC border. Much is made of pushy middle class parents. Less is known or discussed about the large number of kids who make the long journey to Kent grammar schools from London. You can often tell from the wording of posts on here on results day, such parents looking for a grammar, any grammar will do.
inzell

Post by inzell »

Guest55 wrote:
inzell wrote: ...very good performance that local comps can't compete
What are you comparing though? Of course overall a GS will 'look' better but you need to drill down and see how well the brighter children at the comp do and how much progress they make. Otherwise you are comparing apples with pears ...
Looking at following factors from the Gov website:
Progress 8 score
Attainment 8 score
Grade 5 or above in English & maths GCSEs
Achieving EBacc at grade 5/C or above
Entering EBacc

GS is scored a lot higher than other 3 local comps on all above factors.
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

Leighmum2019 wrote:Essex (CSSE) here. Some of our reasons include the grammars being better schools in terms of results, the appeal of single sex education, the locality (one grammar is walking distance) but also because if you don’t give it a go your chances are the same as not passing so you might as well try!

I’ll be controversial and say there is a social divide in the kids I know who’ve taken it v those who haven’t and I would say that there’s a slight air of snobbery from the parents of those who pass.
'Slight air of snobbery?' I'd say it's quite considerable.

I'd dispute the social divide point. I've worked with children whose parents have worked in manual labouring jobs for minimum wage, mini cab drivers,shelf stackers etc who have all passed.

I think they believed it increased social mobility
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

AdamV & Stroudydad - I did not know those quotes (or if I did I forgot). Learn something new every day...
Of course, non-Asians can be tiger parents. I know several. I just think for Asians, it's culturally more ingrained to compete and take a test to get into an academic institution but also, we value the highest grades as that equates to future employability. Gunning for the highest academic levels is defacto. I've not come across an Asian (I'm talking East Asians and Indians mostly) that aren't tigers, both immigrants, BBA's and BBC's have similar views. There's varying degrees of 'tigerness' of course but coming out with C grades is simply unnacceptable . Same with middle-class non-Asian professionals and business owners. I know lots of non-Asian families who are just as uber-ambitious for their children. It's quite an interesting social study the backgrounds of families putting their loved ones into an 11+ but it's nothing we don't already know.
sweetnhappy1

Post by sweetnhappy1 »

To be honest I wouldn't have jumped on the thread if it had just said 'tiger parents'. It was the Asian tiger parents bit which slightly irritated me and also made me laugh because all of the tiger parents I have come across are Caucasian but I never hear the term used for them. I am a British born Asian and do not consider myself to be a tiger parent.

My child is currently sitting 11+ tests because she's bright, I'm not keen on our nearest comprehensive (knife crime), the second nearest is CofE and we live too far to get in on open spaces, the discipline at the third nearest would crush my DD's soul and I could go on and on. I'm fortunate to be in a position to send her private if necessary but I'd rather not because being state educated myself I feel a little out of my comfort zone.

My DD is well aware that my husband and I are very proud of her hard work whatever the outcome but as she is bright it's worth a shot. If she came home with a C because that was the best she could manage, so be it. My ultimate aim is for her to be happy, to thrive educationally and reach whatever goals she may set herself.

A lot of first generation immigrants, your shop owners, mini cab drivers etc have degrees. My parents did when they came to the UK. Their qualifications were useless here and they were way overqualified for the work they could get. I think that may be one reason why first generation immigrants are concerned about what type of school their offspring attend.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

For those interested in where this discussion is going...
https://epi.org.uk/publications-and-res ... -mobility/

The key point for me (interesting demographic stats aside) is that high attaining pupils perform just as well in high quality non-selective schools as selective (grammar) schools. A high quality non-selective school is one that is in the top 25% by results, if I remember correctly. I read it a long time ago.

So, if you have a 'good' local school then you have a win-win.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Essex CSSE here and did it because the school is next to our catchment secondary and it meant we had more schools to choose from. Had we not been so near a grammar school or the commute was more than half an hour no way would we have let her sit it.