Advice on CAT Score

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Winter2018

Advice on CAT Score

Post by Winter2018 »

Hello
I am new to this, and looking for help regarding my eldest son. He received at CAT score in Year 4 of 90. He has just started Year 5 and we are looking at senior schools. HIs scores were in the 80s apart from his Spatial score which was 97. His school were surprised and recommended him to the ed pysch who diagnosed him as dyslexic with slow processing skills. She said that he was able, but held back by these things. I've been reading these online boards and becomming increasingly worried about where it leaves us for senior schools. We live in south of England and happy to board or go to day schools. It seems that many schools are becoming more academic. Does anyone have any advice for us, based on his current stats? Thank you.
Winter2018

Re: Advice on CAT Score

Post by Winter2018 »

PS - Just to add, he at a Prep School and will move to senior school in Year 9.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Winter2018,

I wonder if your post might get more attention in either the Independent Schools section or SEN and the 11+?

If the OP would like this moving, then please let us know. Moderator

It is a good thing your DS has been assessed so that he can be given the support he needs now. Does his current school have a good SENCO? Have you had a chance to talk to them yet? If you know of other DCs at the school with SEN it may be worth comparing notes with their parents on how much support their DC have been given and also what schools they are looking at. The school's senior team should also be able to give you some guidance.

Unfortunately most of the suitable senior schools I am aware of are in London and most aren't boarding schools. One option I know friends have looked into is Seaford College in West Sussex which advertises being non-selective but word of mouth suggests they are less open to DCs with dyslexia than they used to be. Bedales is another boarding school that friends with a dyslexic DC have looked at. I only mention these to give you a starting place for your search.

Have a good read through something like the The Good Schools Guide to get a feel for which schools are worth visiting and go on some open days to build your own understanding of their ethos and direction. Despite a move to emphasise academics (and/or minimise numbers of SEN students) there are still many independent schools that are not just drawn to the academic high flyers. What are your DC's other strengths and interests e.g. Sport, music, drama, art, dance, working with animals? There are schools out there which really like DCs with strengths in areas outside the ability to get straight As.

Although the transition from an independent school to state isn't always easy it is worth looking at the good state non-selective options in your vicinity. However most of those I know considering non-selective senior schools from prep school have chosen, like you, to keep their DCs in the same school until year 9 to take full advantage of the stability and continuity on offer.

Is the school going to do another CAT during year 5? It seems DC often score more highly the 2nd time round having more familiarity with the test. The fact the school have been surprised by your DCs first test results suggests they don't fully reflect his ability.

HTH
PS
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Sorry for double post - Something weird happened as I posted :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now