They Shall not grow old

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

They Shall not grow old

Post by Daogroupie »

Was anyone else in one of the 249 cinemas at 6pm this evening broadcasting the live download of the premiere of Peter Jackson's astonishing film?

Stunning. Personally I found it completely overwhelming. I had the same DNA as Peter Jackson there like so very many of us did. Go see it you can. DG
anotherdad

Re: They Shall not grow old

Post by anotherdad »

I wasn't able to but it's on my list. The preview looked incredible. The sounds stunned me more than the colour.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The soldiers look and talk to us the audience. Peter Jackson got experts to lipread the footage and added speech with the correct regional accents.

Also the continual soundtrack is the actual voices of soldiers recorded in the 1960s that are linked to the footage.

It is indeed voices and emotions from the past returning to us. Unfortunately it is not suitable for under 15 year olds because of the ever present decomposing bodies. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My only disappointment is that they made no effort to interview women who nursed abroad tending the wounded soldiers. Their experience is 'missing' from many archives ...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I was there last night, a fabulous film, absolutely stunning.

This will be shown on tv on 11 November.

Regarding the no women comment from Guest55. You have to remember, this was all filmed back in 1914-1918 and filming the women was not high on the agenda then. There will (hopefully) be oral recordings of the women who partook in the war which were recorded in the sixties and seventies (and even later) but no actual filming and, as this was a film that would be why they weren’t included.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Snowdrops wrote:I was there last night, a fabulous film, absolutely stunning.

This will be shown on tv on 11 November.

Regarding the no women comment from Guest55. You have to remember, this was all filmed back in 1914-1918 and filming the women was not high on the agenda then. There will (hopefully) be oral recordings of the women who partook in the war which were recorded in the sixties and seventies (and even later) but no actual filming and, as this was a film that would be why they weren’t included.
Do you know what channel?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

BBC2 Sunday 930pm.

Also if you have a chance watch The Final Hours of WW1 which was on BBC2 tonight 9pm to 10pm.

Germany wanted a ceasefire while terms were being discussed, which would have saved thousand of lives, France refused. Germany asked for the food blockage, which was leading to thousands of German citizens starting to death, to be lifted, Britain refused.

Germany was forced to take the blame for the entire war and pay with fines and land and the total destruction of the German navy. HItler finally got revenge for this for Germany by insisting in 1940 France sat in the same seats in the railway carriage to sign the surrender of France that Germany was forced to sit in to sign the surrender of 1918.

We all paid dear for that short sighted behaviour during Armistice talks with another World war twenty one years later.

Hopefully we know better now. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I thought it was widely recognised that WWII was in the most part caused by the peace terms of WWI .... we were certainly taught that at school.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I thought it was widely recognised that WWII was in the most part caused by Germany .... we were certainly taught that at school.
Loopy
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks DG, we will definitely be watching that on Sunday and I couldn't find what channel it was on before.
I just read an interesting book called "Travellers in the Third Reich" about tourism in the 1930s in Germany, whilst the Third Reich started. It talks a lot about the terms of the WW1 peace - probably other people knew more than me about it but I did not do any history at school so I am doing most of my history learning now...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now