Help with CAF

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: Help with CAF

Post by anotherdad »

As above. I don't see the dilemma. Put them in your order of preference. No one on here can tell you which will be the best fit for your daughter.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

mutenMax wrote:She got 129 in Slough, so assuming that even if we are in Hounslow we will get any of the Slough schools. She is in Band A in HBS.

By ranking, I meant school ranking. As we don't know what will be the Tiffin Girls results .
Ok, two things here. Firstly, you will NOT “get any slough school” with a high score alone, as you should already know from the clearly published admission criteria for the schools, I can only presume you didn’t bother to read them.....
Langley Grammar did not give ANY PLACES last year to children outside cachement areas 1 and 2.
St Bernard’s did not give any places to non-practicing religious applicants, so if you haven’t researched them properly and submitted their faith-religion form, you would bot get a space there either.
Hershel has a new distance 4 mile criteria this year.... which will reduce the out of area places a great deal. Possible but by no means “assumable”.
Upton.... yes, probably you would stand a good chance. But PLEASE DON’t just assume all Slough schools are a shoe-in, they are highly sought after and the lack of research is frustrating, and feeds the tutoring obsession and frenzy. If you’re going to put your poor child through dozens of tests, at least do the homework on admissions first.

Secondly, it is very short sighted of you to feel that one “ranking” by results alone will determing the “best” school. It worries me that your child will be “made” to go to a school simply because a group of 150 stranger’s children, all 6 years older than her, performed in a particular way on exams day. The difference between these “rankings”
Is often a few students out of the whole year getting one or two grades different in one GCSE!!!

What you should be asking is 1) did my child like this school when we looked around, 2) will they be happy here and 3) is the daily travel workable.

Would you honestly reject Tiffin girls if they dropped their ranking slightly this year?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

mutenMax wrote:She got 129 in Slough, so assuming that even if we are in Hounslow we will get any of the Slough schools. She is in Band A in HBS.

By ranking, I meant school ranking. As we don't know what will be the Tiffin Girls results so have to choose other options.

Also, I am confused in which order shall I fill Slough schools. and not sure which will be better - Mixed or girls only. I am hoping we will get 1st pref but as a backup have to pick 2nd and 3rd option.

Will HBS will be worth a travel? I guess coach buses go from Hounslow to HBS but feel that she will not be able to take part in any clubs which runs after school. She is quite good at sports, definately want her to participate in as many clubs as she can.

Absolutely agree with Aethel, your only real chance would be Upton as they are the only Slough school where rank order comes before catchment/faith, surely you knew this before entering your DC for the 11+?
Also Slough have no single sex schools, ALL 4 schools are mixed

Also if Sport is high up on your list, then Upton may not be the best school for your DC!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Well the CAF should have been submitted now.

I wonder what schools the OP went for in the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now