Rewards for doing the 11plus tutoring

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Rewards for doing the 11plus tutoring

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Deb70 wrote:I have to say, I don't believe some of these posts. A pencil sharpener? Really? :lol:
Equally, not all families are made of money - and are getting a token to represent that they are proud of the effor their child put in, without jeopardising the family finances....
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Sorry, of course all kids are different and like different things. I certainly don't think they should be bought expensive things or given money all the time, or where would it end?! I have only boys, no daughters, and any motivational little gifts I get them are never related to study. So books and stationary are regarded as essential items and they get whatever they need. They usually ask if they can "save up" any rewards towards something bigger that I wouldn't usually buy. So one wanted nice trainers and the other wanted a Zelda chess set.
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

Deb70 wrote:I have to say, I don't believe some of these posts. A pencil sharpener? Really? :lol:
If it had come from Smiggle, the child would want it and the parents could well have gone out for a meal at the same price!

We’re with KCG on this one. Gave DS a nice surprise after the exams but before the results.
lapindebois

Post by lapindebois »

Incidentally, you might want to check whether other family share your approach. We were very careful to try to downplay the importance of results, and only did a surprise 'reward' meal out after the exam but before the results. Then, the day after the results, my parents turned up and presented my son with a cash present 'to say well done for passing'. Nice of them of course, but not super helpful.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD got her first Krispy Kreme donut after the exam (and her last from me!) then I took her back to school for the afternoon. Such a mean Mummy.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

lapindebois wrote:We were very careful to try to downplay the importance of results
So were we, but DC's two siblings are already at the school so it obviously was important. Plus, children talk about this stuff with their friends. I think they know it's important.