Anexity and 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anonymparent

Re: Anexity and 11 plus

Post by anonymparent »

loopylala wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:she was ideologically opposed, that caused him upset.
I do wonder why a 10 year old child would be upset about not sitting an exam to gain a place at a school they know nothing about?
The general assumption is the parent wouldn't have told anything as she was opposed and parents are the only source of information.
We are probably under estimating the children here.
In the areas where there are more number of selective schools, there is a lot of discussion about those, between kids during school or their otherwise social time.
This is why I was very happy last year because in DS's school, there was hardly anyone going through 11+, hence less of peer pressure.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Anexity and 11 plus

Post by PettswoodFiona »

loopylala wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:she was ideologically opposed, that caused him upset.
I do wonder why a 10 year old child would be upset about not sitting an exam to gain a place at a school they know nothing about?
PettswoodFiona wrote:It is very much about ... what your other options are
I found it quite eye opening listening to parents who clearly knew nothing about the non selective schools, other than they didn't want their DC to go there. I was also quite surprised about how little they seemed to know about the selective school that, as far as they were concerned, was the school that best suited their DC.
In my example the child’s cousin went to the selective school and he looked up to this cousin and identified in many ways with this cousin. The family knew the school well as a result and the 10 year old boy wanted to go to this school as he had both his cousin there and friend’s older brothers who talked about it. It is quite possible for a ten year old to know about schools.