So ready to start Grammar School - still ages away!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum-of-two

So ready to start Grammar School - still ages away!

Post by mum-of-two »

Whilst I wish my first born would stay my little boy for a while longer, he already seems to have 'outgrown' his junior school and is more than ready to start the next chapter in his life. He needs more stimulation (other than the Xbox) and to spread his wings, gain more independence (he'll walk to school from Sept), make some new friends and generally be in an environment that better matches his growing personality. Don't get me wrong, he still has his little boy moments but overall he seems so grown up!

Am I the only one who thinks that time is dragging now?
mum-of-two
kenyancowgirl

Re: So ready to start Grammar School - still ages away!

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Don't worry - they all get a bit too cool for school at this time in Y6 and then, regardless of what type of school they are going to, (they are all JUST schools after all, same curriculum, same problems!) come back down to earth with a bump in Y7 when they suddenly realise they are bottom of the pile again!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Don't worry - they all get a bit too cool for school at this time in Y6 and then, regardless of what type of school they are going to, (they are all JUST schools after all, same curriculum, same problems!) come back down to earth with a bump in Y7 when they suddenly realise they are bottom of the pile again!
100% agree. Both my children and the vast majority of their peers got bored and outgrew primary school during year 6, regardless of which schools they were going on to. Their primary school recognised it and spent a lot of time on school plays, sports and going into the reception classes etc to help there - it helped a bit but they were ready to leave... as they were ready to leave nursery and as I expect them to be ready to leave school in year 13 and university when the time comes.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Yep, as soon as SATs are out of the way it's one long stretch of leavers party, leavers production, leavers assembly, school sports day, school journey, "special projects" involving watching DVDs and wondering around the grounds and a little bit of work. It's a lovely time in their lives, they should really enjoy it.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Totally normal for y6 to be ready to go to secondary about now. Relax. Let him relax. Let him see his friends (especially if he's not going to the same school as them). Let him play. Let him be a child.

They grow up so fast from September