Mock test results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Anur

Mock test results

Post by Anur »

Hi, my child did mock test today and scored 76%in English. Now the child is very anxious about the chances of getting a good score in real test. Any inputs and opinions on this please?
Maths is a pretty good score and is confident. But really nervous about English. Is 76% a good score to attempt the real test?
Kind regards.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Mock test results

Post by PettswoodFiona »

A child will only be anxious about a test result if you give them cause to be so, so please try not to worry yourself. It sounds like a great score on its own but it is hard to give an answer if the score is going to get a place at your desired grammar as it depends on how close the test is to the real exam, where your child came in the cohort, what type of grammar you are aiming for, if your child is taking the test this Sept, and how oversubscribed that grammar is etc.
poppety

Post by poppety »

As the previous poster says, it does sound like a pretty good mark however there are other factors that come into it too. How did the other children do who were sitting the test? When my child did mocks last year, the tutor gave us the average marks for all the other children too so we could see how she compared with the cohort. The tutor also told us how previous children who had scored her mark then went on to perform on the day (i.e whether they went on to pass or not). Perhaps if you can get some more information about the cohort performance then you might have a better idea as to how your child has performed. That said, it does sounds like a good mark!
AML

Post by AML »

I always take mock results with a pinch of salt. It's in the companies' interest who run them to make them harder so they can push their services to worried families. Just a hunch.
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

AML wrote:I always take mock results with a pinch of salt. It's in the companies' interest who run them to make them harder so they can push their services to worried families. Just a hunch.
+1

I would most often worry less about the overall mark, though I did worry some of the times last year when I was in the similar situation and the marks were too low.
If the mock provider has given you results area wise or has shown the questions missed/incorrectly answered, then that is what you should use to check if your DC needs any more revision in those areas.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now