Grammar students turn out no richer or healthier.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Grammar students turn out no richer or healthier.

Post by Catseye »

Grammar school does not make you healthier or wealthier in later life, research has found.

The in-depth analysis of people who went to selective schools in the 1970s concluded that the only advantage was a higher likelihood of achieving A levels and a degree, but now that those are taken by teenagers from a range of backgrounds, even this may disappear.

Wages, employment and quality of physical and mental health up to the age of 55 were not directly affected by whether a person had gone to a grammar or comprehensive school, according to the report.

Other background and family characteristics, such as having well-off parents, were more important determinants of success and health, the authors from York University suggested.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -hhshb7prc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deb70

Re: Grammar students turn out no richer or healthier.

Post by Deb70 »

Interesting. It doesn't say what the sample size in the study was.
It is true that far more young people now go on to university and obtain a degree, because there are far more universities and educational standards have fallen a long way from what they were in 1969.
Where there are decent non selective schools, I'm sure there is probably not much of an advantage in going to a grammar school.
However, if the non selective schools in an area are very poor, I think many children would still do better in a grammar school.
This article won't stop parents from going to great lengths to get their children into grammars!
Proudmumregardless

Re: Grammar students turn out no richer or healthier.

Post by Proudmumregardless »

I'd be interested on the results of a study based on the different selective systems.

I would hazard a guess a super selective would garner a different outcome
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now