11+ admission based on merit not where you live

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hardikshah

11+ admission based on merit not where you live

Post by Hardikshah »

Hello,

I am struggling to get information about Grammar school which accepts students based on merit (how to perform in entrance test) and no issues with where they live. I have son so only Boys or mixed school is fine.

So far, I found only QE boys, Barnet which is 100% merit based.

Any other grammar school around London, Herts, Becks, Bucks for merit? I can also consider if some grammar school offer students to move before admission if they score good in entrance exam.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Tinkers

Re: 11+ admission based on merit not where you live

Post by Tinkers »

You can strike off all of Bucks GS. They all allocate on distance as long as The qualifying score has been reached. If qualified, the score is irrelevant.

If you mean Berks rather than Becks, then some of the Slough schools currently offer places based on distance. You can find their admissions policies here.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 10&t=44649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Langley will be a no go, and St Bernard’s is a catholic school so those of Christian faith get priority).

Reading school have not allocated outside catchment for day places in many years.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum. There are many other threads listing schools without catchment, such as this one.

There is also a section here detailing all the schools and regions.

None of the grammar schools in Buckinghamshire admit purely on merit. The pupils have to achieve a certain standarised score (121) and the admision is (mainly) on distance from school. Some have introduced new rules for pupil premium students.

It might be an idea to think about why you are targetting a grammar school. It may be that sticking with a local school will be better for your child - less travel, more opportunities to engage with school life etc etc. Many comprehensive schools are excellent and a bright child will generally do well anywhere. Remember that the good results seen at the grammar schools are entirely down to their selective intake in the first place, rather than some magic that takes place within the walls of the school.

(Cross posts with Tinkers)
scary mum
Hardikshah

Post by Hardikshah »

Thank you so much for quick reply
I will follow threads as mentioned. Thanks again
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now