Change of area

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mahad Ijaz

Change of area

Post by Mahad Ijaz »

My son is starting his tution for 11+ with a private tutor (of course). My question is if he pass his 11+ and get a place in grammar school then what are the chances that if we move to another city he will get admission there in a grammar school. I am thinking of moving to another city in couple of years. Is it even possible? And what are the chances? Mind you this is my first kid attempting 11+ I have no idea. Really stressed
kenyancowgirl

Re: Change of area

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The simple answer is the chances are fairly low. Grammar Schools are not linked so passing the 11+ in one area is specific to that area. If you then want to move areas, your son would have to take another entrance test (set by the Grammar School he wishes to attend) and then, IF HE PASSES THAT, wait to see if there is an "in year place" available. ie wait for someone to leave to make a space.

There is more movement for 6th form as most Grammar Schools increase their intake for 6th form.

What area are you in currently? Also, just to gently point out that although you say he is with a private tutor "of course", that does not necessarily mean he has an advantage! Tutors are completely unregulated as an industry so there are many unscrupulous (bad) ones out there - equally many dedicated parents use the diy tutor route (helping their child themselves) very successfully.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:...your son would have to take another entrance test (set by the Grammar School he wishes to attend) and then, IF HE PASSES THAT, wait to see if there is an "in year place" available. ie wait for someone to leave to make a space.
If he passes and has the highest score amongst those on the waiting list for an in-year place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:...your son would have to take another entrance test (set by the Grammar School he wishes to attend) and then, IF HE PASSES THAT, wait to see if there is an "in year place" available. ie wait for someone to leave to make a space.
For the Essex / Southend grammar schools, there is no 'speculative' exam - you are only invited to take the exam if and when a place comes up.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is a common misconception.

There are some consortiums such SW Herts where one exams will give you a score to apply for several schools but most schools hold their own 11 plus exam, in our area DAO, HBS, QE, Latymer, St Albans, HABS, MTS, Highgate, John Lyon all hold their own exams and students are selected either by highest combined score for the state schools or score plus interview for the private schools.

If you move area you will need to wait for others to leave and then your dc can apply for an year place.

If you can I would either move now or decide against it and settle where you are. Moving during secondary school is hard. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now