Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:10 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 pm
Posts: 4
My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test and we are waiting for the results , what are the chances for him to qualify in CEM please


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:29 pm
Posts: 38
Well... have you checked to see how good he is at guessing? flip a coin 12 times and see how many he gets right maybe. Or guessing the colour of 12 cars that go past your house.

He will do less well than those in the test who were quick and could answer the questions and better than those who left the questions without answering them.

Flippancy aside, the test is about time management and I think a lot of children don't answer all the questions. Guessing is a good strategy if time is short. Educated guessing is better.

I wish your son well. It is tough to wait.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 pm
Posts: 4
Quote:
Well... have you checked to see how good he is at guessing? flip a coin 12 times and see how many he gets right maybe. Or guessing the colour of 12 cars that go past your house.

He will do less well than those in the test who were quick and could answer the questions and better than those who left the questions without answering them.

Flippancy aside, the test is about time management and I think a lot of children don't answer all the questions. Guessing is a good strategy if time is short. Educated guessing is better.

I wish your son well. It is tough to wait.



:) I like ur sense of humour about flipping a coin and guessing the colour of 12 cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:33 am
Posts: 155
Depends if he guesses correctly :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:03 pm
Posts: 457
Impossible to say what his chances are, depends on how many he got right from what he completed!

Guessing only 12 is actually really good, many DC don't finish the paper and leave blank/guess a lot more than 12, including my 2 DC when they took the CEM 11+ in 2014 and 2017.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 am
Posts: 104
11pluswaiting wrote:
My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test and we are waiting for the results , what are the chances for him to qualify in CEM please


Is this a probability question :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:19 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 10486
Location: Essex
RedDevil66 wrote:
11pluswaiting wrote:
My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test and we are waiting for the results , what are the chances for him to qualify in CEM please


Is this a probability question :?


With possible answers ranging from Not a feline in Hades', if he guessed poorly and didn't do well in the ones he answered 'properly', to better than someone who got 12 questions wrong, if he got all the other questions right and at least some of his guesses were good as well.

So it's anyone's guess, really. Sorry, OP.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 am
Posts: 167
Ha! My dc guessed 12 as well- we could compare notes :D
They could have done very well or extremely badly. Depends on how many they got correct out of the total number of questions which in itself remains a mystery :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:19 am
Posts: 3
A girl in my son's class guessed 80% of the questions in her math test (at school) and got almost all of them right.

Very unlikely to happen but it is possible.

It does make you wonder if this has ever happened and a low-ability child has been given a place at a grammar school due to pure luck, only to struggle to keep up. Can they be asked to move schools?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:47 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 10486
Location: Essex
Thomas1979 wrote:
A girl in my son's class guessed 80% of the questions in her math test (at school) and got almost all of them right.

Very unlikely to happen but it is possible.

It does make you wonder if this has ever happened and a low-ability child has been given a place at a grammar school due to pure luck, only to struggle to keep up. Can they be asked to move schools?


No, permanent exclusions (which that would be - see the St Olaves sixth form case of 2017) can only be made on disciplinary grounds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/641418/20170831_Exclusion_Stat_guidance_Web_version.pdf

3. The head teacher’s power to exclude

A guide to the law2
, para. 13

It is unlawful to exclude for a non-disciplinary reason. For example, it would be
unlawful to exclude a pupil simply because they have additional needs or a disability that
the school feels it is unable to meet, or for a reason such as: academic attainment/ability...


So a pupil who 'got lucky' by guessing can no more, legally, be asked to leave because they have difficulty keeping up than the one struggling to cope, having been tutored for hours a week for years prior to the exam and encouraged to believe that nothing taught in year 6 subsequent to it is of any relevance to them, can be asked to leave :).

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021