Grammar schools to apply from Haringey

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bluewhale

Grammar schools to apply from Haringey

Post by Bluewhale »

Ask8ng on behalf of a friend who lives in Haringey: which grammar schools can they apply for? I know of HBS and QE, and Latymer of course, but these ones are all very competitive. Anything else they are in catchment for?
Do St Michael accept only Roman Catholic children?
Is Haringey in catchment for DAO?
Are there other schools to consider?

Thanks a lot
XelaM

Re: Grammar schools to apply from Haringey

Post by XelaM »

We live in Haringey and I have a girl. The only grammar schools I am looking to apply to are Latymer , Henrietta Barnett and Mill Hill County High School (but it's not really a grammar school as such). My understanding is that you have to be Catholic for St Michael, but I could be wrong. With a postcode of N22 we are out of catchment for Dame Alice, but check the postcodes on the DAO website to see if your friend might be within the catchment.
Bluewhale

Post by Bluewhale »

Thank you for your help. How about Colch3ster grammar and Chelmsford grammar? Would a person residing outside of the 12.5 mile radius (and therefore being out of catchment) be allowed to sit the 11+ exams for these 2 schools? And if they passed, would they have to move to catchment area or do these schools accept a certain number of pupils from out of catchment?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I suggest you read the admissions criteria which will be on the school website.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bluewhale wrote:Thank you for your help. How about Colch3ster grammar and Chelmsford grammar? Would a person residing outside of the 12.5 mile radius (and therefore being out of catchment) be allowed to sit the 11+ exams for these 2 schools? And if they passed, would they have to move to catchment area or do these schools accept a certain number of pupils from out of catchment?
Your friend cannot be prevented from registering their DD for the CSSE test (for Colchester County High School and the grammar schools in the Borough of Southend on Sea) or the CEM exam (for Chelmsford County High).

The relevant date for being fully resident in the priority admissions area for the Southend grammars - anywhere within postcodes SS0 -SS9 inclusive - is 31st October, the same as the CAF submission deadline. For CCHS, it is 1st September (i.e. two weeks before sitting the exam), so no scope at all for waiting until after results before moving into the priority admissions area.

Colchester County High currently has no priority admissions area, so one can wait until the end of year 6 to move, if a place is allocated on March 1st.

Not moving to somewhere within easy travelling distance of the school and making one's DD commute from Haringey is not something a sane and caring parent would even contemplate.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

Of course if a child would pass to Colchester or Chelmsford, the move would be required and necessary, but knowing that there is time to move till the end of year 6 makes it possible and quite doable, so that makes all the difference! Thank you!